Replacement for discontinued Trader Joe's BBQ Sauce

Hyfi

Addicted Member
Has anyone found a suitable replacement or anything similar? I cant stand these super sweet thick globby BBQ sauces that are everywhere.

The Trader Joe Smokey with just the right Kick was my all time favorite and now it's deceased.

HELP ME

It's hard to beat this off with a stick,...

81LI5fU5grL._SY679_.jpg

Nothing fancy and you can get it everywhere. I'm not a purist.

Stubs is what I get in a pinch. SBR's is good but sometimes too sweet.

I really like the stuff you can mail order from Martin's BBQ in Nashville though. ;)

This was exactly what I was referring to as for too sweet and not a sauce, but thanks for the reply

You know, you could make your sauce and it's very easy to do. When I smoke my 'Q or ribs, I will typically make my own Carolina sauce. See below:

upload_2018-10-25_13-17-17.jpeg
Ingredients
  1. 1 cup apple cider vinegar.
  2. 1 cup ketchup.
  3. 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  4. 1/3 cup yellow mustard.
  5. 1 tablespoons onion powder.
  6. 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
  7. 1/4 teaspoon chili powder.
  8. Dash of Worcestershire sauce.
The question then boils down to, which style do you and your XYL prefer? Tomato-base (St. Louis style) or vinegar-base (NC/Carolina style, amongst others). If you want some more sweetness then add brown sugar, if not, then cut it. You mentioned thickness and sweetness in the OP, so I guess you lean towards the vinegar side of things (?).

Looks simple. I like Smokey and tangy spice wise more than Vinegar. The Trader Joe was a little sweet, but nothing like most super market brands.

^^^I like the 'twangy' flavor, too not a ton of smoke with a sweet finish.

IMO, the Sweet Baby Ray's pairs well with my Buffalo Wings. The NC 'Q sauce is great with pulled pork and 'Q but might moisten/saturate the bun a bit if made in a sandwich.

Speaking of wings, this is a great sauce to try out on just about everything.

SIA---PNG---500-x-1620-100px.png

wys-teriyaki-wings.jpg

No affils. I'm starting to get very hungry,....:biggrin::beerchug:

I'm a big fan of America's Test Kitchen on on my local PBS. this won their supermarket BBQ sauce taste test and placed very strong when they tested so called "gourmet" sauces.
GUEST_d42d17eb-a4f6-45ec-8ba8-1b871d57ad9c

Not expensive at all so not much lost if you don't like it.

Shelly_D

Let me think....

Catchup

Mustard

Brown sugar

Chili powder

Liquid smoke

Adjust amounts for personal preference....

I can remember when no one brought BBQ sauce because it was a waste of money....

We made a pulled pork pizza from Emeril's show one time, the pizza was ok at best but the sauce has been our go to for years, just dump all the below in a sauce pan and simmer gently for 15 min.
Ingredients (note, this slightly modded from Emeril's, less vinegar):

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 tablespoon molasses

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Looks simple. I like Smokey and tangy spice wise more than Vinegar. The Trader Joe was a little sweet, but nothing like most super market brands.
The only supermarket brand I will buy now are the Heinz BBQ sauces, as the recipes come from actual pitmasters around the country, and they use all natural ingredients for these. There are many varieties and maybe one of them might work for you? I like the Memphis Sweet & Spicy sauce as it does have a bit of zing to it, but not sure if you'd consider it to be too sweet. (I don't find it cloyingly sweet like others I have tasted.) I have not tried them, but the Texas Bold & Spice and the Kentucky Bourbon might also be options for you.

http://www.heinzbbq.com/

One thing that keeps me from buying any BBQ sauce is the inclusion of high fructose corn syrup. We consciously buy products that do not have it, and sadly most of the popular brands out there use it. It is very icky-sweet, and I know in sodas it actually creates a craving to consume more soda (IMHO, a major problem in weight gain in this country). In my case, if someone slips up and gives me a soda with HFCS in it, I get a bloated feeling in my stomach that takes a couple of hours to go away. IMHO, HFCS is poison. (Studies that are pro-HFCS are, of course, funded by the corn industry and supported by lobbyists. :rolleyes: )

HFCS could be the reason you may dislike many of those store brands.

Agreed the Baby Ray's is too sweet on it's own, but ...

Combo flavor here, with a couple splashes of Daddy Hinkle's marinade while cooking, and a final coat of Sweet Baby Ray's long enough to caramelize. I also shake on some local made dry seasoning that's your typical onion, garlic, etc, but with a good dose of fine ground java ... nothing like caffeine on your ribs, eh ... ;-}

country-ribs-sprouts.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still pissed at Trader Joe's for dropping their chocolate JoeJoe cookies. If it weren't for their caramel sauce and giant Belgian chocolate with hazelnut bars, I would snub them completely.

Back
Top Bottom