replacement for SX-1250 antenna

Sam Gray

Hi All,

I'm restoring a Pioneer SX-1250. Very much appreciating the restoration thread on the forum.

On my particular unit the antenna mount is broken and one of the wires (red) has been yanked out of the antenna. There is not any slack on the antenna side to splice it.

I haven't been able to find a exact replacement on ebay. There is ones SX-727, SX-990, SX-950. SX-1050. Could I just use one of those?

Sam

+1 on AM. That Antenna is the "INTERNAL" AM ONLY antenna. There is a connection for a longwire you can run out. I would also run a ground wire to a 6ft copper rod driven into the ground for the ground plane. You can listen to AM that way until you find an AM antenna for a 1250.

Try Danny @ Yesterday's Audio. He specializes in 1970's PIONEER's and might have one. The ANTENNA # from the manual is "ATB-051", while the Antenna Bar Holder is "W72-092"

Read this and post 23 there are some images.
I'm sure you can do a better job.
This was my first attempt at repairing the AM antenna and felt I had nothing to lose and I wasn't sure how the antenna was constructed.
Once the outer section is cut around the circumference it may slide up and expose the area where the wire is. If not, a vertical cut to release the section might be in order.

Last edited:
The AM antenna is an integral part of the circuit for receiving AM signals. Each antenna is designed to work with the internal components of the AM turning section. If you just connect any AM antenna, even one from another Pioneer receiver but a different model, it probably won't work.

How do I know this? I was repairing an SX-1050 for resale and the AM antenna was missing. I searched for a long time but could not find the exact replacement. Eventually I found one that looked similar for a different Pioneer receiver so I bought it. AM reception was terrible no matter how I connected it. Adding a long wire helped some but performance was mediocre. Good luck finding an antenna that works. Let us know if you have success.

Where I agree that the right antenna is important, it is also important to note that this is a 40-year-old tuner and WILL need some adjustment and alignment. My 1250 tuner section is strong, but to have it sound its best it will require tuning (and restoration).

Back
Top Bottom