Replacement hardware for Pioneer Speaker Plugs?

EastPoint

Recycler
Subscriber
Hi folks. I have a couple of speaker plugs that are missing the screws and little clamp washers. Any idea where I could get replacements?

bring the plugs to Home Depot and start trying out different screws until you find the right ones.....

Ace would be better, I think. You can also check eBay to see if you can get some replacements, they will be pricey.

EDIT: I KNEW that I should have WAITED to try them out - they aren't ok,
after a few turns the screw starts to bind up. :(:whip::dunno:

They are an ODD size thread.

I have a few Pioneer Speaker Plugs that are missing screws, and coincidentally last week I dug out the engineering references and the good old micrometers.

NOPE:
They are #6-40 FINE(UNF) thread. An ODD size I have found, and so hard to find, that when I DID find #6-40 UNF pan head Phillips screws,

Well, I now have 300 of them on order. No fancy star washer style underside, I'll just add some star washers for better contact.

(1/2" so they will have to be ground down)

Wow, what a coincidence.... I ordered them at the start of the week.... hmmm - what got me going on them at that time???

Last edited:
Might be good idea to put a nut on before you grind/cut the screw down to size, that way when you back off the nut it can re-form the threads

Last edited:
Ace Hardware has a Hillman hardware section. Wish the darn department was in the backyard but you can usually find what you'll need there. It beats Home Depot and Lowes hands down!
There are a few Milwaukee locations.

EDIT: I KNEW that I should have WAITED to try them out - they aren't ok,
after a few turns the screw starts to bind up. :(:whip::dunno:

OK, now I am trying 3.5mm - 0.6mm at 6mm long. The fractional size binds up after a few turns.
Ordering them...

Last edited:
That actually seems a bit more appropriate. Finding a 6-40 in Japanese equipment would be strange.

Good job John, helps to have one to measure and the tools
My calipers look almost the same as yours, except mine is black and I have a hold button, never use it. Mine eats batteries, so I run it off a power supply, a real hack :)
Hey I could use a few of those plugs :) I am too cheap, using the converted plug trick, looks ugly, good thing they are hidden. Those old models have some weird stuff, I broke the ground for the tape-1-in jack on the qx-9900, the damn rca l/r jacks are so close together that the plastic shrouds on the cables bind together. I have to make/mod/find special cables for the damn thing and fix the broken jack. got an alligator clip making the ground or it hums like heck.

No worries I figure the post may help others down the track. The ones pictured above are off a QX-8000a I picked up several years ago to restore. It came with all four in the back which is rare.

It's been sitting here in a partial state of restoration for at least 5 years. I really should get to it as it takes up three times as much room in pieces than if assembled! It stalled when I got to the indicator lights for the quad matrix- they were all out and I lost interest.

edit: just looked at the RCA jacks on my QX- they are really close together aren't they? Have to use old-skool small body RCA plugs.

Last edited:
Cool John, start up a thread on your QX-8000a, and we can get into it, see what is common with my QX-9900, I have some ideas and stuff I have done already. cheers Rick

Well, this is anticlimatic, but necessary.

I have CONFIRMED with M3.5-0.6 x 6mm long screws that this is the CORRECT screw for the Pioneer speaker plug threads.

They went in smoothly, all the way down.
Use an internal or external star washer (like watthour posted)
and for best contact, the speaker wire goes between the star washer and the head of the screw.

Which is the same thing as saying the star washer is BELOW the speaker wire.

That way the prongs dig into the threaded terminal and the speaker wire

instead of placing the speaker wire below the star washer and the screw head
the prongs dig into the speaker wire and the bottom of the head of the screw, which then current has to flow through the screw body and then the screw threads to the threaded terminal.

Back
Top Bottom