Replacement methods for large caps on Mac 1900

perryinva

IS it vintage????
Looking for suggestions on the physical replacement of the large 9300/50V caps on the 1900. I like the 1900 a lot, but I'm not going to go gaga over the current restoration I am doing. Replace all the electrolytic, and main easy film caps & transistors. I used many suggestions for replacements listed on various threads here and bought a pair of Nichicon KG 10000uF/63V snap in and man, are they tiny compared to the ancient caps in the 1900, which are screw in. I'm sure others here have installed snap ins in place of the large screw ins, so I'm looking for suggestions that have worked well for you all. I don't really want to hollow out the old caps for their cases, since they "work" fine, but the original installation design takes specific advantage of the screw in mounting of the caps. I was thinking of some type of threaded aluminum adapter that could have a side hole for the snap in lead, and simply tie the two grounded leads together with connections to the ground strap underneath. Otherwise some kind of PCB would be needed, which would be a PITA unless it already exists (very doubtful, or I'm sure I would have come across it).

I will not be surprised if the easy answer is to just cut off the bottom plates of each cap, and use them. I'm sure there are plenty of old original caps out there, if down the road I decided to sell it and someone wanted the "original " look.

Last edited:
I installed the Mundorf 10000uf 80v M-Lytic threaded caps. They line up perfectly in the 1900's mounting location ....well, not perfectly. I had to slightly ream the holes out in the chassis and put some heat shrink around the stubs that poke into the chassis to prevent shorting. But they are the same size as the originals, and black :smoke:

There are quite a few caps available that are direct drop in replacements for these, ranging from about $25-$80 (CAD) each.
10000uf caps with a 22mm (+/- a mm) thread spacing are reasonably priced and readily available from DigiKey/Mouser and even eBag.
I know you've already bought replacements but I'd suggest that route, it'll be much easier in the long run.

@perryinva sounds like the project I have going on with an MX113. Keep us posted and include pix of your work if you can. I too have a 1900. It’s a beauty of a receiver and I am sure at some point it will need some refreshing. I’ve had a local tech do some work when I had channel imbalance issue and an alignment.

Back
Top Bottom