Replacement RCA Cables on SL-1300?

Rhetor

Got my new to me Technics SL-1300 up and running well.

Though I am having no speed problems, will be hitting the right switches with Deoxit in the morning.

Got a new Jico N75ED/2 SAS stylus arriving next Wednesday for the M75ED type 2 cartridge.

But, I need to replace the funky, patched audio cable (cheap RCA piece of cable patched onto one side of the OEM cable with simple vinyl tape by the original owner).

Ran across a new pair of 3' Monster 3 wire composite video (red/green/blue; they look like these @ http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MV2CV...&sr=8-42&keywords=Monster+composite+DVD+cable) at a thrift store and bought them. (Labeled on wire as Monstervideo 2cv High Resolution DVD Composite Video Interconnect Cable by Monster Cable.)

Would this set of composite Monster cable serve well as aftermarket replacement RCA cables to solder on the internal board (after cutting the RCA jacks off one end and separating off the video cable part)?

Will certainly use these Monster cables if the will do the job well; otherwise, I am open to other RCA cable options. Since this is becoming my primary tt, want to do this right.

Last edited:
Thats the ticket. Only thing that may make things tough is the jamming of the usually fatter Monster cable through the tt base to get outside.

Actually you might find those a bit physically short once you route them out of the base of the table. Also the M75ed/2 likes to have 400 to 500pf of capacitance per channel. I think I have the same cables, or very similar, and they measured out about 65pf.

Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low-Capacitance Audio Cable are what I use on my Duals. They won't break the bank either.

You do not want that. You want phono cables to be low capacitance and well shielded.

If you cartridge calls for a 400 to 500 pf load it is best to accomplish this at your phono stage input.

For you case your cables are 65 pf and your tone arm wire adds something, let's call it 100 of total. Your phono input had a load capacitor and you should find out what it's value is. For this example less say 200 pf. You capacitive load is 300 pf. To achieve the desired range you can add a shunt cap, which is another cap in parallel on each phono input. Selecting a value of 150 pf puts you in range at 450 pf.

If you change cartridges you simply change the shunt cap as required. Use the best phono cables you can afford, high capacitance cables will sound poor.

Cheers, Bob

I have some Petra PET 10 composite cables in 50 ft length . . . What about cutting a 6 ft length off and trying those? I read some old threads saying the 6 ft or 12 ft versions (cut in half)'are great on TTs, but unobtanium product now.

Last edited:
I don't know that brand. I have heard great things about Belkin video cables being used as phono cables from others on AK.

6 feet is a long run. If you need that much for your set up then go for it. Otherwise 3 - 4 feet is kind of the norm. Longer cables mean more capacitance, it is best to minimize this and then optimize the load at the phono stage. This is my experience here, others may differ.

Last edited:
Go to KABusa.com and grab a pair of Technics m5g cables. Inexpensive, low capacitance, and flexible. For $30 pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:
static14 advice is right on the money, save yourself a lot of pain, the m5g cables are a perfect fit and a big upgrade from the original cables.

Component cables like the one in the OP ARE low capacitance and well shielded. I've used similar Monster ones on my TD 160 to good effect.

Still stand by the m5g cable due to the Technics original cable being a tight fit and the m5g even tighter. A component cable fitting into the Technics would be a major challange without doing serious modification, not worth the trouble to me when you have a factory part available. Component cables on other turntables may well be a fairly easy installation and work well but this isn't a good choice for the Technics from my experience.

Any reason the KAB PC-1200 Connector Plate couldnt be used on a 1300? If I were going to be spending the $30, Id rather spend it to get connections on the outside and be able to use whatever cables I wanted, whenever.

Personally, I would much rather just solder in RCA jacks than use that clunky plate. I have a pair of RCA jacks that I bought for a couple dollars from Rat Shack and soldered in and looks a million times better than some large plate sticking out the back of my TT. Paired the jacks with Blue Jeans cable LC-1 and love the sound. Standard component cables will work fine too, if you dont want to spend $30 or so.

Going to save the Monster cables for a later project.

Did some searching for some Petra 10 component cables (discontinued) that gat rave user reviews as RCA replacement cables in 6' lengths on like Technics tables around 3 years ago.

They will be here Wednesday, and will put them on next weekend, along with a Jico N75ED/2 SAS stylus (coming Frida) on my Shure M75ED/2 cartridge.

The Petra 10 cable mod is supposed to be excellent capacitance, bringing out the bottom end, which I want.

Will do . . . Going to operate on Saturday.

Look up some old threads . . . A lot of people raved on these cables on Technics TTs until they became unobtanium. At six foot lengths, the word is they were perfect, and brought it the bass if that is what you like, which, with my Khorns on. Scott 299D, I do.

Last edited:
Got all of the alignment tools in today. But, the SaS Jico stylus stuck since Wednesday in Commerce, Colorado, due to "Adverse Weather Conditions."

So, it looks like next week before aI get,all this finished up and tested.

Back
Top Bottom