Replacement Stylus for Stanton 580 EEE

tomh2m

After years in storage, I've brought out my Garrard Z2000B to clean up and listen to some vinyl I've put away years ago. It appears I may need a new stylus - I have a Stanton 580 EEE cartridge and I cannot find anything specific for it. I've been told the Stanton N500S is a universal replacement but is this the best needle I can get for it? A number of comments seem to indicate it is adequate but no as good as some others - I would appreciate any comments on alternatives that would fit and produce quality response.

Thank you in advance,
Tom

Does seem like a fairly rare cartridge. I lucked into a 581 (calibrated version) a couple of years ago (complete kit with 3 styli), but haven't really played around with it much. It looks like the 500, but had provisions for a brush.

I'm not sure how well a stylus for the 500 would work with this cart. From the calibration sheet included in my box, it looks like the resistance and inductance is slightly different from the 500 series.

DSCF9626.jpg
DSCF9628.jpg
DSCF9629.jpg

Fantastic! But I don't see a 581EEE among those specs. No matter, that's just the stylus. Looks like that EL would be pretty close if the 581EEE would have been a .2 x .7.

Yes, I wonder if the 580EEE and 581EL styli might have a similar profile. After getting this cartridge I tried to do some research on it, but there is a dearth of information on the 580/81 over the interwebs. Even the Vinyl Engine database has specs different than the calibration sheet, stating a tracking force of .5 - 3 grams for the D5200EL stylus (versus .75 - 1.5 on the spec sheet).

OP Tom, I know that this doesn't help with your original question. Just hoping to shed some more light on this oddball cartridge :idea:

Well, specs do change over the years. Perhaps they are all correct.
Yes, I suppose that they might.

Personally, I'd probably just use another cartridge on the Garrard due the the lack of a specific replacement stylus. I don't know that the 580/81 was that much of an improvement over the 500 (conjecture only here), other than the stylus having a brush (whatever you may feel about the advantage of that). Perhaps that was a reason for it's short appearance in the marketplace, as the 680/1 came out shortly afterwards.

I just want to thank everyone for their input on this subject. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point - but I'll certainly respond later to let everyone know what path I decided to take.

Thanks, again!

Cool! Looks like the listing came at an opportune moment for you. I did a double-take when I looked at that listing. The brush on what otherwise looked like a run of the mill 500 definitely gave it away.

As for my 581, it's still in the box. I haven't done any critical listing with it, but I'm loath to sell it right now (collector nerd that I am as well). Right now, I have an example of Stanton cartridges in most "series": 581, 681, 780, 881, and 981. Next thing you know, I'll be looking for a 380 and 481!

Fantastic! But I don't see a 581EEE among those specs. No matter, that's just the stylus. Looks like that EL would be pretty close if the 581EEE would have been a .2 x .7.

By the way, on genuine 500 styli with the color block, you can pop that block out and you will find hinges for the brush. Apparently at some point, Stanton gave up on the brush for this model, but instead of retooling the stylus dies, they just made plugs for the hinges and color coded them.

Those inductance figures are so so so close, though, that I would make the assumption that a Stanton 500 or Pickering V15 stylus would work just fine. The problem now is finding something that would even remotely resemble the EEE stylus. Very hard to find. I'd recommend a retip. If your suspension is in good shape, you can get a retip of the diamond alone for relatively cheap.
No the stylus would have been .2X.9 as i have an original. The bodies should be the same a s the gold boded 500's and i don't believe there was ever a 581EEE.

Here are some pics of a Stanton 581ELE from last summer I think. Anyway I saved them do to my love of Stanton's

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Don't forget the 500, 600 and 890.

I've got the 500 and 890. I Don't have the 600, but do have a Pickering System Series. Plus a boatload of other Pickerings. Borderline obsessive :rolleyes:

The Lenco Heaven website has a recent thread on some NOS D5200EL styli that showed up on eBay (unfortunately now all sold). Needlestein - did you happen to snag one?

Yes, looks exactly like the example that I have :thumbsup: My 3 styli already had the brushes removed. I can't exactly recall, but think I remember reading somewhere online where someone with knowledge of this cartridge stated that the bristle length on these brushes was unique.
John

2.jpg 5.jpg DSCF2467.jpg

Turns out my old one is a 581, so I've got both. Of course, without the original stylus I'm original condition, the 581 is no longer calibrated.

In any case, look at this nude rock!

Excellent! Nice photo too. I couldn't get a clear closeup of the stylus.

Looks like I have the calibrated version, as I have all 3 original styli. I think we're in a small club with this one. Specs:

DSCF2483.jpg DSCF2490.jpg

Bummer about the stylus, but perhaps an opportunity to see what others might work well with this cartridge. In my limited testing with mine when I first acquired it, I didn't notice any issues. I haven't attempted to soften a suspension before, but maybe try some type of rubber renewal product?

I finally got it to budge. Azimuth is now correct and the scratchy sound is gone. This thing sounds ridiculous! I'm very happy I got this.

Great to hear. So the cantilever was twisted then? At some point I'm going to have to give your straightening trick another try. I have 3 styli that have twisted cantilevers, but I got "nervous fingers" when trying to fix them. My solution to this point has been using a headshell with adjustable azimuth.

Pickering. One is a DTL-2S that came with those XL-33U NOS kits that Canal was selling at a killer price a while back. I also have a twisted DTL-3S and DTL-1E. The 1E was also from Canal (seemed like half of them came this way). You had a nice trick involving using a toothpick if memory serves.

Getting off topic I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom