replacement tuner drum or repair?

Stevescivic

Can anyone here offer up some tips on where to acquire a replacement Pioneer SX-1050 tuner drum or how to repair a crack in the tuner drum shaft?

Mine has developed a nice crack in it and I'm sure I could use an epoxy to glue it back but before doing so I wanted to ask the experts here before I botch the repair.

Thanks!

I've had the same thing, and due to some recent questions, I also got some photos of the last one.

If your drum is similar to this, there may be a reasonably easy way:

SX-750TunerDrumCrack.jpg

This one was split on both sides, as seems typical of all those I've seen. I unstrung the tuner, removed the drum, removed the cord tension spring (which has to be flipped to allow the hook to pass through the slot), and opened the split very slightly. Guessing that drum was molded in ABS, I used solvent cleaner liberally and in multiple passes to fully clean the opened area, but also to soften the plastic in preparation for solvent cement welding. Once it had been cleaned at least four times and was still somewhat soft, I applied ABS solvent cement to the opened crack, then opened and closed the crack several times to help the cement wick into the openings. After a final application of cement, the crack was allowed to close, and I assured its closure with a small spring clamp. Allowing the cement to dry for several hours (overnight) I removed the clamp, applied additional solvent cleaner, and topped the entire repair with additional solvent cement. Another several hours of cure passed before the drum was installed, and careful tightening of the set screw secured it to the VC shaft. When it became apparent that the split was not going to open again, I removed the drum, restrung it, tensioned the dial cord on the spring, and installed it.

SX-750TunerDrumRepaired.jpg

ABS solvent cleaner/primer and ABS solvent cement are commonly available in small containers intended to solvent weld ABS pipe. Be certain to use only ABS cement, and not a PVC, CPVC, or universal solvent cement. Sufficient time to cure is critical, so this cannot be hurried unless you want to wait the appropriate amount of time the SECOND time you have to repair it.

The first time I did this I was prepared with some ABS welding rod to cover the area completely, but.never had to since the solvent welding has held up.

Ah perfect. Glad you were able to tell me that it was in fact ABS plastic. Plain old sewer pipe solvent glue will fit the bill.

Mine has a small crack down one side. The funny thing is that the drum is holding up just fine on the VC shaft as it is but as time passes this will only get worse and worse. I actually ordered one from e-pray today and it wasn’t too costly but the shipping charges to Canada has left my butt hole rather sore!

In the end buying one that is good condition is a good thing as I am sure even if I do the repair on this one that eventually things will break and I may not be so lucky to find a replacement like I have today.

Thanks for sharing!

I use a tin plate to cover my back side your deflect the bullets :D Good to hear you have a solution, now back the the mute relay issue.

Back
Top Bottom