Replacement Wood Cases for Sansui Receivers?

jambre

Hi,
I'm thinking of bidding on a G -7700 Sansui receiver on Ebay, but it says the case is delaminating-I googled a few times and couldn't come up with any real hits-does anyone supply replacement wood cases for these receivers?

If not, could be a good opportunity for an enterprising woodworker

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that would be tougher to re-veneer with all those slats there.

I've thought the same thing about Marantz cases - good opportunity for a woodworker.

And some people do sell aftermarket cases (at least for Marantz), but they charge like $150 for them, which is steep. Not sure how much time and materials it actually take to build one, but I have a feeling they're charging based on what the market will bear vs it being a reflection of time and materials (though I could be wrong - I'm not a woodworker. . .)

$150 really isn't all that bad for a quality custom case.

It might surprise you how much time and effort goes into building a simple case. This one isn't all that complex, but I figure I got 8-10 hours into it, not counting finish and final fit ... and that excludes any time spent scratching my head figuring out where I was going with the thing ...

case-built-jigged-back.jpg

That said, I'd think a delaminated case could be, like ... relaminated easily enough, as in a quickie reglue and application of new veneer. A lot of Sansui cases don't have real veneer to begin with - just vinyl woodgrain - so it's simple enough to strip off the old crap with a heat gun and do it right.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to downplay the effort, but even yours is more involved with the cutouts on the back there.

Many I've seen just are solid on top/left/right, with 4 holes for feet on the bottom. Maybe an open space for a metal grill on the top. So they're not custom per se, but made to fit certain popular models. I'd imagine for those, the first time would be the hardest, but once you had all the measurements and processes down and just had to produce them in numbers, it'd go faster and easier.

But even then, I know there's sanding and finishing involved, and good wood isn't cheap. Just wish there were nice-enough cases that didn't cost as much as the unit you were trying to dress up. :)

I'll hold on the Sansui for the moment

That Sansui does have some potential, but I'm going to hold for the time being-Thanks for the advice-

Jim

That Sansui does have some potential, but I'm going to hold for the time being-Thanks for the advice-

Jim

Good plan. That one is a bit on the rough side. It's best to pursue one that needs electrical attention and not cosmetic....or one this is in great shape and working order.

I'd personally prefer to have good electronics - then bury the butt ugly case inside an equipment rack ... <G>

Lot would depend on the price though ... seems a little steep on this one. Wasn't that long ago I found an 8080db on CL that looked like it'd been around the block a few times ... probably being dragged by a truck ... but electronically perfect - strong and clean with that Sansui pOp and warmth. Doesn't even have the dreaded dolby board issues. Heck, even all the dial lights work, which any Sansui fan will tell you is pretty rare. Tells me that it's fairly low mileage as it's hot/cold cycles that kill the solder connections on those. Guy wanted $80 and I talked him down ...

cl-8080db-002.jpg

Cosmetically, the faceplate is the most important thing to consider. You can patch or replace a case ... faceplate is another aminal entirely. I'd give that a 9+ on this one. The case itself is a good candidate for new veneer if I get bored.

There's an AK member "sawdust" that was building cases for pioneer receivers. I've thought seriously about contacting him about a new case for one of my Sansui's..but never got around to it. Maybe an option??

Back
Top Bottom