1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing AU-X1 F-2772 Phono Mother Board

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Hyperion, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Original Mk2 Phono Mother Board - with replacement relays
    IMG_2425.JPG
    Side view.
    IMG_2426.JPG

New board fully rebuilt.
    IMG_2427.JPG
    Old board - Empty!
    IMG_2428.JPG

There are just 2 (carbon film) resistors on this board, a 33Ω and a 5.6Ω - the 5.6Ω had drifted to 7.4Ω so it was replaced, along with the 33Ω for completeness.

The new board is beautiful, a top quality replacement designed by AK's own Ronito6. This is particularly for anyone with a Mk1 board, which has a bewildering array of factory modifications to make it stable. But also for anyone with a Mk2 board wishing to rationalise the mounting of the much needed replacement signal relays which have a different PCB 'footprint' compared to the old unreliable relays. Ron was also significantly helped by AK member Willy6 with installation testing & tweaks and ordering boards from the US based PCB fabricator.

The topside silk screening has been much enhanced by indicating the colours of the connecting wiring, making it a very easy job to wire back into the unit.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    slimecity, Multimode, Willy6 and 7 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. SansuiJavier

SansuiJavier AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's great to get a clone of a board, and very laborious. It would be ideal to find a clone of the F-5693 card of the Sansui X-701/901. It is a board very delicate to the temperature, I have one with several tracks raised. I looked at methods to make it new but it is very very difficult. You have done a great job.

Willy6, Ronito6 and Hyperion like this.
  3. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

Thanks for the thumbs up on my 2772 Hyperion.

In case anyone cares or is wondering...
    Willy6 asked me, wondering if I could make this board a reality. And since he and I are the same in our "What the hell. Why not give it a shot." attitude. I gave it a shot. And it worked.

Might a parts list be offered please?
    I got 4 or 5 guys here on AK who will likely be referencing this thread rather soon as they install these new boards. I am sure they will appreciate that bit of detail from a real EE guy, rather than my amateur best guesses.

I guess the big Q for me here is: Is there any difference / improvement sonic-ally?

Is there an O scope test to show?

Oh...BTW...one of the two holes I designed into this board's star ground point is intended for the Kuehne flat amp stability modification.

I am rather sputtering now. (Not unusual for me, but ....I'll just stop here.)

Looks good that board in your hands!

Thanks for installing it!

Ron

Hyperion, Multimode and Willy6 like this.
  4. Hyperion

I'll see if I can put something together - I can see this would be useful for someone upgrading a Mk1 board by replacing it with a new board.
    No difference sonically, except maybe a small reduction in random noise pickup. If there is a reduction, it will be due to being able to mount the signal relays directly on the board.
    No, nothing really of interest to see.
    I simply used the existing solder tag for this - but this may not be present on earlier X1 models maybe those with the Mk1 board?
    LOL - you're doing fine. :thumbsup:

slimecity, Multimode and Vintagear like this.
  5. Hyperion

AU-X1 Phono Mother Board Parts list (refers to new upgrade board or Mk2 board)

6 x Omron G5V-2-DC24 signal relays.
    1 x 33Ω ¼ watt resistor.
    1 x 5.6Ω ¼ watt resistor.
    3 x 1N4003 rectifier diode. (replacing 10D1)
    4 x 470µF 35V electrolytic capacitors. (I used 63V here)
    2 x 0.047µF 100V film capacitors.
    1 x 0.27µF 100V film capacitor.

6. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

Thanks!

As I remember everything in terms of caps was some factor of 47.

BUT it seems to work well enough.

:banana::banana::banana:

Multimode likes this.

7. Hyperion

Found it - it was 0.27µF or '274K' - corrected in post above. ;)

The one thing I do notice is that I can just hear the relays now - suspended in mid air by the corrective wiring they just made a hard to hear faint click - but now it is more of a definite louder click amplified by the stiffness of the PCB. :)

Multimode and Ronito6 like this.
  8. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

Sounds good in more ways than one then. :thumbsup:

Hyperion and Multimode like this.
  9. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Sorry to be a muppet from downunder but is there a link to this mod?

I'm still not sure if I have the Mk1 or Mk2 board in my unit (Kevzep may know). I wont know for sure until I get in there to install this new board.

10. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

In Germany, an EE guy by the name of Martin Kuehne discovered that the main source of the AU-X1's famous destructive oscillation originated in the grounding scheme of the AU-X1's F-2819 flat amp. http://ftbw.de/xp/amplifier-xp/sansui-au-x1-01.html

So Mr. Kuenhe sussed out how to correct that flaw, and a couple of other flaws in the X1 in order to make is as stable and reliable as any other amp.

Mr. Kuehne's solutions are very easy to apply. They are a must as far as I am concerned.

Before his contribution, people tackling the issue of the AU-X1's oscillation would suggest cutting out or re-routing whole areas of the amplifier's diamond differential circuitry. Crazy. :no::crazy::no:

Harolda discusses finding Mr Kuehne's discovery here
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-mighty-au-x1.672322/page-8
    See posting #144

Mr. Kuehne himself discusses his work here http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-mighty-au-x1.672322/page-8
    See posting #157 to #161.

For the first time on AK, Harolda describes and applies Mr. Kuehe's flat amp modification here
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-output-transistor-replacements.684619/page-8
    See posting #151 to #155.

For the first time on AK, Hyperion describes and applies Mr. Kuehne's DC drift fix for the EQ cards F-2770 and F-2771 here http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-mighty-au-x1.672322/page-10
    See posting #182 to #194.

ACTUALLY this last site above and it's suggested postings rather sums up the whole slew Mr. Kuehne's modifications in pictures.

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Ron

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Hyperion and Multimode like this.
  11. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

Hyperion likes this.

12. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Nice - thanks Ron - so I must have posted pics of my board on a previous X1 thread.

I will need to read up on this stuff!