replacing Clear Audio MM styli

Meanwhile I popped on my still-newish AT150sa, hoping for more improvement as it settles in. Have heard lots of positive reports on it it, but compared to the Virtuoso it's been disappointing,
That's odd. By every measure the AT150 is a better cartridge, even the styus is nude as opposed to bonded.

Must be a loading or synergy thing.....or maybe it's not yet broken in?

For me the main take-home lesson so far is how good the shibata-Vituoso is. Better than the MCs I've used and lived with over the past 25 years?
I consider the AT with the dual magnets to be the most MC like of all MM, especially in regards to the scope and scale of the stage.

That's what I expected. The AT150sa has maybe 30 hours. The WT Arm is about half in its silicone fluid, which simulates a medium to medium-light mass, in my experience. VTF 1.5-1.7g. VTA slightly to very positive. It seems like it improved in the first hour of use and hasn't changed in the next 20-30.

In contrast the Jico shibata Vituoso is a deep breath of fresh air i can't stop listening to. More MC-like than any MM in my limited MM experience. Need a nice, vivid, airy MC cart as a reality check. But I'll miss the bass!

I'm bumping this thread because I recently purchased an LP Gear CF3600LE on a lark and decided to try it on my Marantz TT15 after really enjoying it on a lesser turntable. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed the tone and overall sound and it was on there for many weeks, replacing the Virtuoso much to my surprise. Still, it seemed a little funny leaving the Virtuoso on a shelf. After seeing another post somewhere discussing a carbon fiber cantilever AT95e stylus available on LP Gear, I decided to order one to swap into my Virtuoso just to see what it might do. It's a .3X.7 elliptical, so if nothing else will provide another data point for CA MM owners regarding which replacement styli make good sound in these carts. At some point I'll add a VL or HE to the mix as well, but the CF3600LE is so punchy, with such delicious tone that I'm hoping to impart a little of its character into the Virtuoso with the CF95SE.

I don't suppose anyone here has already tried the CF95SE in a CA MM cart? If so, any reports on what I can expect?

I recently joined the Virtuoso v1 ATN95 club and wanted to know what VTF most of you are using successfully.
Also, is the ATN95EB the same as the ATN95E except color?

Thanks

-retox

I believe the black ATN95EB is a 0.4 x 0.7 elliptical tip.

The green ATN95E used to be the same but is now a slightly better 0.3 x 0.7 elliptical tip, though LPGear seem to be selling the older 0.4 x 0.7 version. I don't think there's anyway to visually tell these two versions apart.

There's also a maroon ATN95Ex which is also a 0.3 x 0.7 version.

James H

I believe the black ATN95EB is a 0.4 x 0.7 elliptical tip.

The green ATN95E used to be the same but is now a slightly better 0.3 x 0.7 elliptical tip, though LPGear seem to be selling the older 0.4 x 0.7 version. I don't think there's anyway to visually tell these two versions apart.

There's also a maroon ATN95Ex which is also a 0.3 x 0.7 version.

James H

Thanks James, it appears that the ATN95Ex is advertised on Amazon as 3x7 but the ANT95E dosn't specify the tip. Leads me to belief it's the old tip.

-retox

Has anyone tried an AT95XX stylus on the Clearaudio Performer V2 Ebony? I have one in need of a stylus repair and was thinking about the same fix as the Virtuoso. I am really interested to see if I end up with the same sound as my Virtuoso v1 ATN95E.

I'm fascinated by these Clearaudio cartridges with wood bodies and AT styli.

There's a guy on Ebay from Germany that makes wood bodies for cartridges and I just bought one for a Shure V15 LT cartridge that I have. It will convert it to standard mount instead of the original P-mount.

He also make wood bodies for AT95's and AT100's.

Any chance of getting close to the Clearaudio on the cheap?

Jon

Cheapest way is to diligently wait for an actual CA on eBay. They often sell for less than $100. Then put a tip on it.

Yeah, I've got my eye out, but so do a lot of people. Just wondering if this might be a close alternative??? Fun to play with? Seems up your alley?

Also thinking about bidding on one of your retips. Interested in doing an AT OC9ML/II, missing cantiliver/sylus?

Jon

I have styli and VTFs for each listed below:

OEM Virtuoso stylus; 2.2g
.4X.7 AT95e OEM elliptical; 2g
.3X.7 elliptical; 2g
.3X.7 elliptical with carbon-fiber cantilever; 1.8g
hyperelliptical; 1.75g

I've used them all on my CA Virtuoso. They all sound good but the HE stylus sounds outstanding to me, better than the cartridge with OEM stylus. I agree with other posters that not only do these tips make the CA MM carts indefinitely serviceable by the user, on the cheap, but that it's great fun to play around with them while you're at it.

I recently joined the Virtuoso v1 ATN95 club and wanted to know what VTF most of you are using successfully.

Thanks

-retox

A more direct question...If the Virtuoso takes the AT 95 stylus, I assume the cartridges are sourced from AT? Besides the obvious wood body what is different between the V and the 95 cartridges, stylus not considered?

I recommend you start on the first page of this thread and read it through. Also search the web for online forum posts from users Neobop and Dialoum. There have been many, many posts and threads about CA MM carts and their apparent AT heritage. Quick hitters are:

It appears obvious that the cartridge bodies on all of the CA MM cartridges are AT-95e-based, whether they are stock AT95e bodies, or upgraded bodies sourced from AT. The bodies all accept standard AT95e stylus plugs, even though they are sold as user non-serviceable.

Users have reported on installing AT95e-based styli in CA cartridges. I have installed several of them in my CA Virtuoso and can attest that even a cheap .3X.7 bonded stylus sounds excellent in the Virtuoso. I'm currently running a HE stylus in my Virtuoso that sounds better than the OEM stylus.

Last, I have made a frankencart Virtuoso "clone" by potting and wood-body mounting a standard AT95e cartridge and installing a .3X.7 stylus. It sounds very good to me, close to the Virtuoso.

The real revelation in all of this, for me, was not that the CA MM carts were "lesser" because they were based on the AT95e, but instead that the AT95e is a fantastic cartridge that rarely gets installed and really heard on good turntables, and appreciated for how good it really is. It's held back, to some extent, by its .4X.7 stylus, and there are many options for stylus upgrades all the way to shibata tips for it.

A more direct question...If the Virtuoso takes the AT 95 stylus, I assume the bodies are sourced from AT? Besides the obvious wood body what is different between the V and the 95 cartridges, stylus not considered?

I recommend you start on the first page of this thread and read it through. Also search the web for online forum posts from users Neobop and Dialoum. There have been many, many posts and threads about CA MM carts and their apparent AT heritage. Quick hitters are:

It appears obvious that the cartridge bodies on all of the CA MM cartridges are AT-95e-based, whether they are stock AT95e bodies, or upgraded bodies sourced from AT. The bodies all accept standard AT95e stylus plugs, even though they are sold as user non-serviceable.

Users have reported on installing AT95e-based styli in CA cartridges. I have installed several of them in my CA Virtuoso and can attest that even a cheap .3X.7 bonded stylus sounds excellent in the Virtuoso. I'm currently running a HE stylus in my Virtuoso that sounds better than the OEM stylus.

Last, I have made a frankencart Virtuoso "clone" by potting and wood-body mounting a standard AT95e cartridge and installing a .3X.7 stylus. It sounds very good to me, close to the Virtuoso.

The real revelation in all of this, for me, was not that the CA MM carts were "lesser" because they were based on the AT95e, but instead that the AT95e is a fantastic cartridge that rarely gets installed and really heard on good turntables, and appreciated for how good it really is. It's held back, to some extent, by its .4X.7 stylus, and there are many options for stylus upgrades all the way to shibata tips for it.

Thanks David,

Thats exactly what I was looking for and I have been doing research on the V and I have read some of the posts here and will go through them all. I have also watched Youtube of the stylus replacemant.

Your frankencart is what I was thinking when I mentioned the wood bodies on Ebay. I appreciate your input.

Jon

Love seeing all the info here. I just purchased a used Marantz TT15-S1 that will include a Virtuoso with bent cantilever and a new Concept. Does anyone know if the Concept stylus has the same profile as the Virtuoso? It seems that an easy fix for the Virtuoso would be to transplant the Concept plug.

Love seeing all the info here. I just purchased a used Marantz TT15-S1 that will include a Virtuoso with bent cantilever and a new Concept. Does anyone know if the Concept stylus has the same profile as the Virtuoso? It seems that an easy fix for the Virtuoso would be to transplant the Concept plug.
I have been successful with both the Virtuoso and the Performer V2 Ebony using the AT95E stylus. I use a small pair of wire cutters that have a straight blade to remove the plastic mount on the stylus. I really like the results, IMHO the only real difference between the original Virtuoso stylus and the 95E is the Virtuoso is a lot smoother with a little more air around the instruments.

I am 99.9% sure that the plug from the Concept MM will directly swap into the Virtuoso, as will any AT95e variant when de-winged. Hope you enjoy your new turntable!

To my ears, the Virtuoso + 710-D7 is still a totally winning combination. I no longer have the Marantz TT15S1, upgraded to a Technics 1200 w/Audiomods Classic. The new TT came with a Grado Statement Sonata and I greatly preferred the CA for my chosen materials which are 50's and 60's jazz originals.

The Grado sounded fabulous with newer and audiophile oriented recordings, ECM pressings, etc but sounded thinner and renders more surface/groove noise in comparison to the CA with the old pressings, even when NM. My theory is that the conical tip has a better fit or interface with the older grooves. I had similar results comparing the 710-D7 to other types of stylii in the CA body--standard green elliptical, blue hyper elliptical, etc. And I am still able to attain silent, inky black backgrounds with this conical on a clean and good pressing, as well as beautiful detail and overall tonality with new and old pressings alike.

Strongest recommendations for this combination. Have not combed through this thread in a while, curious what others thought of this pairing, especially with a different listening focus than myself

So Clear Audio not only builds some of Mcintosh's tables but Marantz, too. I wonder If that happened when they were all owned by the same company that. owned Denon. Macs latest table is obviously built by. VPI.

Back
Top Bottom