Replacing electrolyitic with film in kenwood ka-7300

marcoeloco

I am trying to recap a Kenwood ka-7300 at the moment and I would like to know if replacing the 1uf electrolytics in the signal path with Panasonic ECQV1H105JL film caps is an improvement or do I just replace the originals with the same. I have read this is the thing to do but I'm not sure?

a highly recommended practice - for better sound, magnificent street cred (needs T-shirt),
bragging rights (my kenwood with film caps kicks your Kenwood to the curb and
throws it under the bus)
but
for those who need a guardian angel allows wiring the cap backwards without the explosions.
(new at recapping, they sometimes forget to mark the polarity on the PCB or ignore the schematic or
simply wire them in without checking)

I usually go for the Nichicon Muse ES caps - they're green and adds to the sonic enjoyment.

a highly recommended practice - for better sound, magnificent street cred (needs T-shirt),
bragging rights (my kenwood with film caps kicks your Kenwood to the curb and
throws it under the bus)
but
for those who need a guardian angel allows wiring the cap backwards without the explosions.
(new at recapping, they sometimes forget to mark the polarity on the PCB or ignore the schematic or
simply wire them in without checking)

I usually go for the Nichicon Muse ES caps - they're green and adds to the sonic enjoyment.
They are not film caps? Only bipolar electrolytic.... I do use them as well tho!! Nice looking to boot!!

yep, bipolar for where the film caps are bigger than the unit.

both are not polarized and saves the explosions for july 4th celebrations.

either red for wimas. or green for the ES.

red brings out the bass, but I prefer the greens for their mid-range musicality.

You might have smoother transitions with electrolytics in the signal path on kenwoods. imo above offer good service alternatives but signal path I'm kinda old fashioned I guess and don't like rework much if dissatisfied.

Thanks everyone for the information, I have about 50 of the Panasonics I got hold of a year ago and just wasn't sure about whether on not they would be an improvement in the sound quality.

Checked for this on Mouser. They have same kemet film caps, but the leads are the very short ones.

Yes,it took me some time to figure out the number code within the part # that tells you the lead length. The types with long leads have DQ,CK or Z3 contained in the part #. Also,note that sometimes they don't show the correct part photo despite the part #; this has fooled me too occasionally,as is the case here with Mouser. The part number is the spec,NOT the picture shown.

Refer to the ''Ordering Options'' table on the second page down for more information:

https://content.kemet.com/datasheets/KEM_F3101_R82.pdf

Those ECQ's are good caps. I would have no problem using them in the signal path over an elco. Or anywhere else fro that matter.

Cheers,
James

I am trying to recap a Kenwood ka-7300 at the moment and I would like to know if replacing the 1uf electrolytics in the signal path with Panasonic ECQV1H105JL film caps is an improvement or do I just replace the originals with the same. I have read this is the thing to do but I'm not sure?

The advantages of a film over an electro are generally thought to be longer expected life and lower leakage. The disadvantages are often bigger size and usually higher cost. As far as sound quality, I have no opinion.

in perspective, replacing 20-30-40 YO caps is the first goal, then if it strikes your
fancy - go with "audiophile" caps.

you're restoring reliability and the original sound.

then you can enjoy the music

No worries Bob, I figure i might as well use the better quality caps as they are not hugely expensive compared to normal caps. many of the originals are an orange low leakage Elna.

Yes,it took me some time to figure out the number code within the part # that tells you the lead length. The types with long leads have DQ,CK or Z3 contained in the part #. Also,note that sometimes they don't show the correct part photo despite the part #; this has fooled me too occasionally,as is the case here with Mouser. The part number is the spec,NOT the picture shown.

Refer to the ''Ordering Options'' table on the second page down for more information:

https://content.kemet.com/datasheets/KEM_F3101_R82.pdf
Thanks for the heads up on this. I’m gonna print this out and pin it to the bulletin board above my bench.

Back
Top Bottom