Replacing grill fabric

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Roboturner91, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Roboturner91

Roboturner91 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got two pairs of speakers that need new grill fabric. Celestion DL8, B&W DM110.

I thought this would be a quick and easy thing, but I've had the hardest time. The frames for both have these beveled edges and I'm having a devil of a time getting the fabric on there and looking nice, especially around the corners. Is there any idiot-proof method to doing this or should I just take it to an upholstery place or somesuch?

Also on the B&Ws there's this red trim ring around the woofer that I see in a lot of the online images. Mine are just plain black. Is that a removable/replaceable piece that I can order or buy from somewhere? B&W's online parts list doesn't show anything.

2. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

When you're stretching new grill fabric onto the frames, you must have extra to be able to hold onto while stapling it to the frame. Start at the middle of each side working opposite sides at the same time.
    So, staple top middle, bottom middle, right middle, left side middle and so on. Keep working the same way to the corners, pulling the fabric tight. There will be some folded overlaped fabric at the corners, just staple down well. Trim off all the extra when completed.
    I have some pics of some projects I did recently I'll post in a bit.
    Glenn

boza likes this.
  3. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

It is a bitch of a job. I have some KEF 104.2 grilles to so soon and those things are massive and will be tricky.

I think of it as doing one side at a time. Do parallel sides first then the other two (one at a time). I either just use glue (with battens & clamps) or staple. If you are just stapling I would have thought it would be a bit easier.

4. GD70

These were for a pair of AR-12's, which originally had foam grills.
    I made frames to match the original look.
    Here's some pics. It IMG_2267.jpg IMG_2288.jpg IMG_2293.jpg IMG_2294.jpg IMG_2297.jpg IMG_2299.jpg IMG_2298.jpg 's not that hard, you do need a nice large enough surface to work on to lay out the fabric flat and as smooth as possible. I ironed mine as it had fold creases in it.
    Glenn

5. Roboturner91

Roboturner91 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think my job would be much easier if the frames were made of wood instead of plastic. I don't have the option to staple. GD70 yours look fantastic. :)

6. Porkloin

Porkloin Oscar Heil Groupie Subscriber

Might I suggest a couple thick coats of contact cement where you would normally staple the crap out of it. If you put the cloth in place a bit prematurely (before full tack), you get a bit of time to work it into position.
    I put in staples in the mitered corners of the cloth below, but the cloth was stiff as a bastard. If your cloth is more pliable and your corners are square, mitered corners may be an option.

IMG_0488.JPG MiteredCorner.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Drugolf likes this.
  7. Porkloin

Porkloin Oscar Heil Groupie Subscriber

I wish I'd have made thicker grills like that for the latest project (the ones above are not the latest) Those are eye catchers.

GD70 likes this.
  8. GD70

Thanks Robo!
    The cloth is very thin and was easy to work with. If it was thicker like Porkloins, I would have cut mitered corners like his, which are beautiful!
    Glenn

9. dzkfraser

dzkfraser Active Member

You can use Beacon Fabri-Tac instead of staples. I prefer this over Aileens tacky glue. Corners are a pain, The trick is to trim a much excess fabric as possible and then gather and pull from the middle of the corner, probably have to futz with it a bit, but with practice you can get it so it lay flat(which is the key)

10. drbiggles

drbiggles I like bacon Subscriber

Hey,

I've been using 3M's 77 spray adhesive for years now. It sticks immediately, stays stuck. I even stopped using staples with no adverse issues in the future. Just read the instructions on the can.

Biggles

GD70 and bluestime like this.
  11. GD70

Just make sure you have adequate ventilation!

12. ra.ra

ra.ra Super Member

Good stuff, just don't confuse it with your hairspray or deodorant! :no:

13. drbiggles

That, I can do. The fun part is getting it all over your hands. Then? Stuffing fiberglass into cabinets. What fun!

Biggles

14. drbiggles

It's not so bad. Especially when compared to gold spray paint ...

15. bashman

bashman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not to hijack this, but the reference to gold paint reminded me of a guy I used to work with whose nickname was "Joe the painter." He got busted once as he had an old sock coated with black paint for sniffing. His defense? "Anyone who knows me knows I only sniff gold or silver paint."
    Let's be careful out there!

drbiggles and GD70 like this.
  16. xero-D-hero

xero-D-hero Super Member

Hahaha I just got a picture in my mind of Elwood saying to Jake "This is glue. Strong stuff.".

Classic...

:rflmao:

Bret P.

drbiggles likes this.