Replacing meter lamps on Marantz 140.

outshined

I'm replacing the meter lamps in my 140. Do I need to take the case off, or can I do it by removing the faceplate?

Thanks.

You have to remove the top cover. There is a screw in the top centre of each meter that is holding down a plate. Remove those and pull out the small board that has the lamps clipped in. There are 2 bulbs for each meter. Pretty simple :yes:

Any ratings on those lamps for a model 140?? I think the model 250 uses 6.3v/150ma bayonet base lamps. :scratch2:

The 140 takes (4) standard 8V fuse lamps to illuminate the meters.

I thought that the 250 used the same - at least according to my data base.

The (2) peak indicator lamps are small wired 8v lamps.

DH

Any ratings on those lamps for a model 140?? I think the model 250 uses 6.3v/150ma bayonet base lamps. :scratch2:

The lamps I'll be using are those LED types, which are supposed to be cooler running and last much longer.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
You have to remove the top cover. There is a screw in the top centre of each meter that is holding down a plate. Remove those and pull out the board that has the lamps clipped in. There are 2 bulbs for each meter. Pretty simple :yes:

Thanks for the pic, and the procedure. Very good of you to take the time. :yes:

I replaced these lamps about 15+ yrs ago, but I forgot how it was done!
I'm sure I did it the first time by trial.

Anytime :beerchug:
Gotta keep those beautiful blue meters shining!

I don't wanna beat this to death with the thank yous... The answers are all VERY much appreciated!

The pic you inserted, I thought, was a very nice gesture.

The Marantz link is in French! I appreciate the reply, of course, but I still can't read French. :D

BTW, I know the PEAK lamps work, and have never replaced them. (they light only once in a great while...) But, they are hard wired? Hmmm...

The 140 takes (4) standard 8V fuse lamps to illuminate the meters.

I thought that the 250 used the same - at least according to my data base.

The (2) peak indicator lamps are small wired 8v lamps.

DH

DH,
I just shipped a bunch of 6.3v/150ma bayonet base capsules to a guy in Europe for his 250, maybe the ones in his unit were replaced in the past with incorrect lamps?? :scratch2:

Good deal. I am not very good with soldering irons and schemos that look like a NYC subway map.

Maybe I should replace them, because if the amp clips, I wouldn't know it. (The meters can't be relied upon to tell you if the amp is clipping)

I always thought that there was a mechanical mechanism, tied into the meters, that tripped the PEAK lights, as when a sharp transient sent the meter needles all the way, but I don't think that's the case.

The PEAK lamps light when actual clipping occurs, irrespective of the meter readings. Am I on track here?

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, let me know how the LED's work out. I may do the same. Thanks.

I have seen before and after pics of the 140 using the LED lamps, and there is quite a difference for the better.

Once I get another set of power and USB cables for my digicam, I'll try and post a before and after.

I have seen before and after pics of the 140 using the LED lamps, and there is quite a difference for the better.

Once I get another set of power and USB cables for my digicam, I'll try and post a before and after.

IMHO LED's are the way to go for the 140. Beautiful blue, dispersed evenly, no heat, easy to replace. The last big plus is... you can go back to the original lamps any time you want. I will never go back myself. I like 'em.

IMHO LED's are the way to go for the 140. Beautiful blue, dispersed evenly, no heat, easy to replace. The last big plus is... you can go back to the original lamps any time you want. I will never go back myself. I like 'em.

The lamps lasted some 20 years, so I can't complain. I still have 4 of the old lamps; I bought 8 of em at Radio Shack in '87 or so.

I also think it's a testament to the reliability of my 140. I bought it new in '77 I think it was, and it has never failed or behaved badly. It is one of the oldest amps I own. The others being my SAE 2600 and GAS Ampzilla.

Back
Top Bottom