Replacing MX-1000 binding posts

swanng

I'm beginning the process of replacing the binding posts on my MX-1000. I have selected the posts and backing plate material (thanks to Avionic) I will be using, but before I begin, I thought I would submit some questions to those of you who have performed this operation already. Were your backing plate(s) modeled on the OEM binding post backing plates, i.e., dimensionally speaking? Did you construct one single backing plate to support Spkr A and B binding posts? What did you use or how did you perform alignment of the new binding posts? What material(s) did you utilize to connect the new binding posts to the relay board, and were they rigid enough to provide mechanical support in addition to electrical conductivity? Ideas about procedural steps taken and photos would certainly be appreciated. My philosophy is to do this right the first time, as prior planning prevents piss-poor performance. Thanks!

Did you construct one single backing plate to support Spkr A and B binding posts?
A,B & C.
What did you use or how did you perform alignment of the new binding posts?
OEM binding post position. I use the single posts not the dual posts.

s-l500.jpg

Hmmmm. If one is using new material for backing plates, what does one use as a template to drill mounting holes? My eyes are calibrated, but not so good that I don't need a template, especially if I'm doing all three sets of speaker outputs.

what does one use as a template to drill mounting holes
A while back . I milled out and 3/16" aluminum template. So thats what I use.:biggrin: Your going to have to do it from scratch.
What Pomona's did you get ?

Maybe a quick way to make a few bucks would be to prefab a few sets of the binding post plates and sell them on bartertown.
I'd buy three just to have even though the giant factory posts haven't annoyed me enough to change yet.

Fabricating these for myself will be tedious and time-consuming enough. I will, however, have some left over pieces of 1/8" thick black garolite. Channel A had hairline fractures in it, so I decided to replace 'em all. And I'm keeping the OEM ones. I might need them for my other Yamaha amps.

Back
Top Bottom