Replacing My Receiver and Speakers

Guest137

I will most likely be replacing my Onkyo TX-38 with a Onkyo TX-8020 this upcoming month. I have already switched my JBL G300 speakers with a pair of custom-built speakers my grandfather handed down to me. Should I buy new speaker wire to go with the new components going into my system? The speaker wire I currently use is from 1997 and has given me problems in the past and present. I want to make sure that I get the best connection and sound quality out of the speakers. Also, I wanted to get some opinions on the Onkyo TX-8020. It is only going to be hooked up to a Onkyo C-7030 CD player and maybe a monitor used for my Roku Express streaming device. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds to this thread and I hope that everyone has a good new year!

I will most likely be replacing my Onkyo TX-38 with a Onkyo TX-8020 this upcoming month. I have already switched my JBL G300 speakers with a pair of custom-built speakers my grandfather handed down to me. Should I buy new speaker wire to go with the new components going into my system? The speaker wire I currently use is from 1997 and has given me problems in the past and present. I want to make sure that I get the best connection and sound quality out of the speakers. Also, I wanted to get some opinions on the Onkyo TX-8020. It is only going to be hooked up to a Onkyo C-7030 CD player and maybe a monitor used for my Roku Express streaming device. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds to this thread and I hope that everyone has a good new year!
Yes definitely replace the speaker wire. Doesn't have to be expensive by any means but it shouldn't be presenting any problems either. Connections depend entirely on what kind of terminals your equipment has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why will you be replacing the TX-38? If it works fine it is a good unit not much different from the TX-8020 for a stereo system, similar power.

That 12-gauge wire recommended above might be a bit thick to use easily. Sure we like it but if it makes it hard to use the speaker outputs, might not even fit in the TX-38, then going with a 14-gauge wire is just fine unless the speakers are a long way away. Don't get a CCA (copper coated aluminum) wire that stuff isn't what you want.

Why will you be replacing the TX-38? If it works fine it is a good unit not much different from the TX-8020 for a stereo system, similar power.

That 12-gauge wire recommended above might be a bit thick to use easily. Sure we like it but if it makes it hard to use the speaker outputs, might not even fit in the TX-38, then going with a 14-gauge wire is just fine unless the speakers are a long way away. Don't get a CCA (copper coated aluminum) wire that stuff isn't what you want.
The TX-38 was a hand-me-down and probably has not been handled in the way it deserved. I don't know much about electronics, but I believe that the unit is dying, overall. I want to replace it with a modern unit that should not give me issues anytime soon. I am also on a very low budget, so power is not a feature to consider for myself. I am just going after whatever is cheap and available at the moment.

That power level is just fine for most listening with most speakers. 45-65 is the sweet spot for power. Units affordable, able to drive speakers to loud but not very loud levels easily and not so heavy you don't want to move it. Budget is what most here have to consider when changing gear.

Just use some nice lamp cord. Honestly, at this level, it'll do just fine. As for the TX-38, why do you think it is "dying" ?? With electronics, that isn't usually a process as much as an event.

Finally, whereabouts in the US are you?? Lots of guys like me willing to help out a new Ak'er with cheap/free gear.

Average Wire Gauge is the size of the conductor. Regular lamp cord is 18 gauge and adequate for stereo use in many cases. Smaller number is bigger and many like to go with 12 gauge as it can fit many speaker connectors and run longer distances without issues. Smaller wire has more resistance per foot and it might add up at say 30-50 feet of 18 gauge. Speaker wire or just standard two conductor 'zip' cord is generally available in even numbers gauges. For 50 watts, 5 feet, it really doesn't matter once you get to 18Ga but some might hear some difference in the big stuff. I say using the small stuff, 22 gauge zip cord for example is like hooking up a garden hose to a fire hydrant. You are not going to get everything a big amp (fire hydrant) has through that little wire. 18 is ok, 16 is decent , 14 is good and 12 is popular.

What does AWG mean and what is the difference between the different options? I apologize if I sound uninformed; I have only put together a very basic system.
Well, I was typing a response but my fellow AK'ers beat me to it. LOL!!

Finally, whereabouts in the US are you?? Lots of guys like me willing to help out a new Ak'er with cheap/free gear.

Really don't understand why folks don't post something about location because of this exact reason. But AK doesn't mention it in the signup, 'fill in a location so folks can offer cheap or free gear' but if they did I think most newcomers to the forum would be filling out the full profile page. I mean how many here don't have a few pieces of decent gear that they would let go of for cheap? Just the non-collectors that say if it isn't in use, it isn't here anymore.

Just use some nice lamp cord. Honestly, at this level, it'll do just fine. As for the TX-38, why do you think it is "dying" ?? With electronics, that isn't usually a process as much as an event.

I think the amplifier on the unit is going bad. On each of the inputs I use (Tuner, CD, and Tape 1), both speakers either go quiet or dead silent at different times. Some times the left speaker has issues, sometimes the right speaker has issues, and sometimes both act funny at the same time. I plugged a different pair of speakers into the receiver so I know that my speakers were not the issue. I feel certain that the issue is not related to the speaker wires either, but I will be replacing them anyways. I am located in North Carolina. I looked at the craigslist site for my local area and a lot of the sellers were asking for more than what people on ebay are listing their units for.

Does cranking it up make the speakers play again? If so, it might be the relay is so equipped. I have cleaned a half dozen Onkyo relays to good effect but replacement is better. I have not had to go back and clean again and this is a few years on.

Does cranking it up make the speakers play again? If so, it might be the relay is so equipped. I have cleaned a half dozen Onkyo relays to good effect but replacement is better. I have not had to go back and clean again and this is a few years on.
If I fiddle the volume knob around, it might come back on for a short while. However, the problem has gotten to a point where the sound barely comes out of the speakers when the system starts up. Are you suggesting that I replace the relay on my receiver? I could probably do that, but I don't care for the unit anyways. I should have mentioned earlier that the unit was sitting in a filthy garage for about six years before being used by myself for the first time.

I will most likely be replacing my Onkyo TX-38 with a Onkyo TX-8020 this upcoming month. I have already switched my JBL G300 speakers with a pair of custom-built speakers my grandfather handed down to me. Should I buy new speaker wire to go with the new components going into my system?
Better hope that Grandpa's speakers are compatible with an 8-ohm impedance rating. That receiver doesn't seem to be capable of lower-impedance loads.

16 gauge copper wire will be fine (and less expensive than 12-gauge) at any likely home-audio length. If you had more power or low-impedance speakers, heavier wire could be beneficial.

Average Wire Gauge is the size of the conductor.
AMERICAN Wire Gauge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Back
Top Bottom