Replacing rackmount power strip safety caps

ggizzy

EMI extraordinaire
Evening,

I have a rackmount power strip from 1970 which has eight sockets, a neon lamp across line, a 20A circuit breaker/throw mains switch and (2) Aervox 2X.1uf 100VDC safety caps.

First, since the strip is so old and I have no idea the history of its use, is it a good idea to replace these safety caps as a precaution?

What is the modern equivalent to the caps?

I intend to use the strip to power a number of Amps and tape recorders, so I doubt I'd ever hit 20A on the line, but I would like to have the ability to load it.

Thanks for any help!

I apologise, typing on an older ipad here, it is slow to pickup characters. The caps say 1000vdc. And they are connected across the line

If they are across the AC line after the switch/breaker, they likely function as snubbers, to reduce arcing of the switch/breaker contacts and can also help reduce unwanted electrical noise.

I've attached two images of the caps. I feel like a dummy though- 2 x .1 maybe with the four terminals? I haven't had a chance to disconnect them and take a look inside yet as I've been busy elsewise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
Those could be the most modern bathtubs I've ever seen. The only gear I have with those was made in the 30s or 40s.

Back
Top Bottom