Replacing rechargeable batteries - how to spot weld ?

Ohighway

Wannabe Minimalist
Subscriber
I've got a few devices whose rechargeable batteries have ....well..... finally gone kaput. Typically they use sub-C cells (with tabs) and are spot welded together. In the absence of a spot welding machine, is there any home brew method of performing a small spot weld to connect tabs. I know I can solder, but in the event any heat is generated during charge/discharge... that could spell disaster.

Any input appreciated here.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but through my research I have found many websites that sell batteries with tabs.

You may have to check a few sites (and pay P + H) but they are out there. Hope that helps.

Duct tape. :D

Actually that may be conductive to some extent (although I have never had a problem with it.) Try some electrical tape.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but through my research I have found many websites that sell batteries with tabs.
You may have to check a few sites (and pay P + H) but they are out there. Hope that helps.

I've got the batteries,..... with tabs. That's not the problem. I just want some method of performing spot welds to connect the tabs together.

Typically when I disassemble an old battery pack, the tabs are spot welded together....

Typical items I'd rebuild would be cordless drill driver batteries, dust-busters, etc.

The tabs are spot-welded together before the batteries are assembled, then charged.

Tiny pop rivets would be the best.

You can solder those tabs together and it will be fine. I used to race RC cars and make my own packs up and I would solder directly on to the cells and never had any trouble. If anything gets hot enough to reflow your solder job something is very wrong. I'll bet they spot weld those together because its faster and a little stronger.

I second Mopar3's remarks 100%

I've built, or rebuilt, battery packs and soldered the connections. Never a lick of trouble with that. If your batteries get up to 450 degrees, or what ever solder melts at, you have serious other troubles.

I solder batteries together all the time. It will be fine as long as you're quick. Cleaning the surfaces with a file, or sandpaper will help.

Back
Top Bottom