Replacing Spendor SP1. Harbeth VS Stirling VS Spendor

everglades

Hey Karma.

I have a pair of SP1s that Im looking to replace with something with a bit more bass. I love the sound of these thin wall brits... just want a bit more punch for a fairly sized room without the use of a sub.

Because Im forced to keep them on the ledge that is built around the inside of the barn (yes i live in a barn) and my wife doesn't like the look of floor standing speakers, Im forced to stick with a speaker in this relative size and shape. They are roughly 1'x1'x2'. See attached pic.

So under consideration are modern Spendor SP1/2r2, Harbeth Super HL5plus, Stirling LS3/6. Im looking for a bit more punch and authority and was hoping modern drivers would provide this result. Ill be using a 100W solid state McIntosh amp and Pre.

Im open to any other brands and models that stay within these rough dimension. All opinions welcomed. IMG_3681.jpg IMG_3682.jpg IMG_3683.jpg

That is a very attractive space. I love the way you have your gear set up. I'm not crazy about the speakers on the same plane as the electronics. That aside, there are not a lot of contemporary companies building to that form factor. Plus I believe most speakers don't sound their best until they are at 3 or so feet away from the wall.

Lately, I did a lot of listening to speakers in the 1K to 4K price range. I listened to a lot of B&W and also Martin Logan speakers and was not impressed. On careful listening with complex recordings with lots of familiar tones, I found them both to be highly colored in a way that did not work with some excellent recordings. I also listened to some Golden Ear Speakers that had an incredible top end, due to the AMT tweeters. Unfortunately the bottom end was not so good. Then I got a chance to listen to the KEF LS-50 speakers. They were in a whole different league. The only thing is, they are very small and don't do much below 80hz. I bought them anyway. They are that good.

So I am planning to buy a subwoofer from these guys (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html) . They offer a servo controlled subwoofer in a sealed box that is flat to 18Hz. They also sell a kit (build your own box) that I bet would fit into the ledge you have your stuff laying on.

I once owned the SP-1 and even though they have a nice polite sound, I couldn't warm up to them because they lacked any visceral warmth.
Had I paired them with some "distributed bass"(multiple subwoofers), they would have benefited as most speakers would.
Also, I think the room is quite nice but rather large for those speakers and also think they'd be better positioned on the floor with stands, more intimate with a listening position of choice.

yeah, I wish I could do a better position on SP1's but this is our living room and the wife has the ultimate say. I have several other rooms in the house with ideal speaker placement so I have little to complain about. Is there anyone out there with experience with the modern equivalent from Harbeth, Stirling or Spendor?

Hi, I need your help here.
I recently pick up Spendor SP1 which I dreamed of for long time. My problem is that I do not hear sound from (super)tweeters.
It is very difficult to differentiate sounds coming from the super tweeter not from mid tweeter, but I feel that I do not hear sound from the super tweeters.
It is normally wrong with one speaker but it is happening from both of them. Cosmetically both look very fine. I even tested with Stereophile test cd, but same.
Are these designed to be that way since they are super tweeters?
Have any one listen sound coming from super tweeters of Spendor Sp1 clearly?
Do you know any other way to test these are functioning fine?

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.
yeah, I wish I could do a better position on SP1's but this is our living room and the wife has the ultimate say. I have several other rooms in the house with ideal speaker placement so I have little to complain about. Is there anyone out there with experience with the modern equivalent from Harbeth, Stirling or Spendor?
Hi. It's some time ago I know. So what's your decision in the end? Do share with us, as me too wish to get either a Spendor or a Harbeth......

Back
Top Bottom