Replacing volume pot

jwrosenthal

Hey guys,

The Noble pot in my Music Reference Rm5 is flaking out. It was doing the occasional corduroy pants sound and now it's dropping a channel entirely and it takes me flicking or whacking the volume control sometimes to get it to come back. I hit the solder joints under the pot thinking maybe it had a cold joint, and it seemed fine for a few days and started dropping the left channel again.

So I was thinking of going with a Goldpoint as a replacement but realized (pic below) that I am very restricted for space. I have 2 Alps 100k blue velvet pots on hand, one is earmarked for a PAS rebuild (i always order two when I get parts like that), but would like to go with something nicer in this MR since it is in daily use in my favorite system.

The "better" ones that seem to be shallow enough to fit are the Blue Note and the TKD- both available at Partsconnextion. I'm not concerned with saving a few bucks if a product actually is better quality.

My first question seem stupid but are all stereo volume pots pinned out the same way? If the sizes are similar would it be a pretty easy desolder the old from the PCB and solder in the new?
6934F33A-FD0A-483E-9860-030D8857DD80.jpeg
Second, has anyone here installed one of the Blue note or TKD pots and are they truly a better product than the $13 Alps I have now (and mine are the Japan ones, not the fake China ones) ?

I don't know about the other brands but the Blue Velvet is my choice for all my amps. They are very smooth and last a long time.

TKD is supposed to be a step up from the Alps, if only judging from the price. I have not tried that brand tho.

So I did my research and ended up buying the TKD 2508 which is a little smaller than the Noble and has wire lugs, and the even smaller TKD 601S which has long PCB leads so will board mount even if the placement is slightly higher than the Noble or Alps. The 601S is stepped like in my ARC LS-7, such good tactile feedback. I also got the Audio Note volume and balance pots (which are probably made by TKD for AN, not sure but they look similar) which could work in either my MR (if the sizing is right) or my ARC SP-3. I will see which is the best fit and report back here for anyone interested and will try to remember to take pics of the process.

Back
Top Bottom