Replica Eames Chair ... yay or nay

If you like the look of the Eames, then it's worth it as a functional piece of art. When I investigated the Eames I ordered swatches of the custom leather which were much nicer in color, leather quality and thickness than the stock colors. Since the chair and ottoman are already expensive, I figured it would make sense to get something nice. I ended up with a beige-white chair but not the Eames, though. At 6'1, I found that the only way to sit with my neck supported was to slouch and slide down. Given that the chair puts you in a half recline, for me the lack of neck support was a no go. I ended up with a Fjords Admiral 170. The nice thing about the Admiral is that it reclines but the mechanism is hidden and you wouldn't know it can. The C arms naturally support your arm as it falls (there is a slope) and has a very modern, clean aesthetic. The matching ottoman has the same streamlined effect and matches the curve/fall of your legs. Like the Eames, it uses molded high quality plywood that is stained. The Fjords set (by Hjellgjerde) is made in Norway and is about the same price as the Eames set. Plus it comes in different sizes and leathers. Check out: http://www.backinaction.co.uk/fjords for info. You can find them in the US - I did and I live in southern California.

If you want a chair to sit in for 20 minutes of critical listening, the Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chair by Knoll is, for me, the quintessential modern chair. If I had the right setting I'd splurge and get a pair in polished steel with matching ottoman - to the tune of about 18k or a good pair of amps or speakers (not sure which is the better/worse value)!

Or, since we're discussing mid-century modern, the Saarinen Womb Chair by Knoll is incredibly comfortable - to lounge in, read, cozy up etc. Plus it comes in various colors and fabrics now.

Finally, Herman Miller products (here is review) https://10restbest.com/best-lounge-chairs go on sale twice a year at either 10 or 15% off. You can get the chair at Room and Board, which has stores and a site or from highbrowfurniture or other online vendor. If you plan it right, you can get the discount and free shipping.
On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help someone. Good luck

Last edited:
Nice! Since you 'awakened' an old thread, I'll pitch in here with updates on mine (now about 20yrs old)
- HM now makes a "large" version - presumably to fit 6+ footers (I have to do the slouch thing, which is really hard on my back, but puts my ears right at horn level:)
- I looked at the current version leather offerings, and wasn't impressed. It looks 'puffy' to me.
- Mine failed at the metal to wood arm joint, and had to be sent back for repair.
Once I got 'connected' with the right HM dealership (commercial only furniture vendor) with a really knowledgeable repair guy, it went pretty smoothly, and I learned a lot from him about how most of the YT 'DIY repairs' are disasters in the making, as well as good stuff about the leather on mine (NLA). Price wasn't too bad, considering, and since I'm not far from Michigan, shipping cost and time was minor. Was fun talking to a guy who has lived and breathed Eames repairs for 20+ years!
Failures of the arm or back joints can often be catastrophic, and start to become likely at around 20yrs. Luckily, my brother experienced that with his "older' one, and so I learned to watch out for it, and so didn't topple over backwards like he did, ruining all the remaining back shell joints, and breaking the shell.
- Totally agree with you on comfort of the Womb Chair!! If I had it Do Over Again, I'd get that before the Eames lounger, for Sure. Barcelona would be second after the Eames, I think.
- BTW, the matching Eames (Soft Pad) Sofa (which I also have) IS slightly more comfortable than the chair, and Even Prettier (solid walnut back and bottom).
- I also have the Eames Sofa Compact (listed on CL in Madison Wi), FWIW - another very nice piece.
Very Pretty Stuff, and fun to look at every dang day;)

Back
Top Bottom