Replicate Actual Theatre Sound

dts:X is the other - at least for movies I’ve personally not heard a dts:X example yet and my AVP isn’t compatible with it.

Look at all of the 4K UHD Blurays coming out now - a bunch of them have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Dolby Atmos is also epic for multi-ch music - Roger Waters’ The Wall being the best example I own. Apparently it was to be recorded in Atmos from the word go.

So it looks like Atmos is the winner. Dolby pretty much has a lock on the market anyway, which frankly is one place I'm glad to have a monopoly. I would hate to give up my beloved B&K Reference 50 but it would still be used to power the sound for the massive man-cave gaming rig.

Gotta be careful because there are 9.1 and 11.1 systems that have nothing to do with Atmos x.x.x.

Dolby Pro Logic IIz, for example can create front height or additional front width channels using matrix processing.

Oh I don’t know ... I believe I have at present better sound than I’ve heard in any theater.

Dolby Atmos is an absolute game changer for home theater. Anyone dismissing it as the newest fad is sorely mistaken.

Not sure I've heard audio in an actual theater worth celebrating either. Have however heard many great home theaters over the years.

Theatre sound should be fun, like a good theme park ride,
but I don't want the theme park ride experience when I'm driving any more than I want the theatre sound experience at home.

Sorry, I do! I don't want noisy children with cellphones flashing around me and idiot talkers giving away plot details and all of that nonsense.
I want to get lost in the storytelling on the screen in front of me, wrapped with audio cues that convy the story.
With a carefully chosen but modest collection of gear! Including 2 pairs of 12 inch UREI 809s - which is a great fit for our smaller room, and a JBL 18 inch pro sub for the bottom end.

For TV watching, ok. For music system enjoyment, nope.

Not meant for "2 ch music system enjoyment" tho I do own some concert videos and surround discs that DO play well on that system
(Land of Grey and Pink surround, Van's Box set, Marley's 30th, SeaChange, and the Avalon SACD).
For general music enjoyment, I do have the 2 channel system upstairs.

Last edited:
Not meant for "2 ch music system enjoyment" tho I do own some concert videos and surround discs that DO play well on that system
(Land of Grey and Pink surround, Van's Box set, Marley's 30th, SeaChange, and the Avalon SACD).
For general music enjoyment, I do have the 2 channel system upstairs.

This is what I'm trying to help people to understand. Most people who are saying they don't like surround music seem to have based that on playing stereo tracks through some matrix decoder. Once you hear a really well done surround mix on a properly set up system you realize there is a place for both.

I bet that Urei Jbl combination is sweet. And it doesn't take big power either. 99 db 1 watt 4 ft as I remember. So 100 watts is all you'll ever need per channel. If 813's hadn't been so Ugly I would have 3 of them and use the 809's for rear and side speakers. Like you I would have to use JBL subs if the additional woofers in the 813's weren't strong enough/ It would be fun to try Big Tannoy, too. Can you imagine a room with 3 West minsters for the front and the smaller systems with the 10" coax's for the surrounds. Imagine have Tannoy sell you two more west minsters with woofers from the Royal model only to use as subs.

Back
Top Bottom