Reproduction faceplates

ChrisAZ

I’m considering the purchase of a Marantz 1200 integrated amplifier that has some scapes and smudged printing on the faceplate. I’ve seen reproduction Marantz faceplates for receivers but was wondering if anyone makes one for the 1200 integrated. I haven’t been able to find anything online so far. Has anyone heard of any being produced?

Last edited:
Are the areas that laseretcher/cutter cut just the Marantz name and model or do they go as far as Increments for all volume, bass, treble and such?

Nice...I have an Otari Reel to Reel that’s black and most of the silk screen “I’m guessing silk screen” paint is scratched off. I’m not sure how they have the template setup for different Marantz or if that could be changed. Is there a contact for the ones that do laseretcher/cutter?

Could someone paint a "Silver" faceplate and then etch it. Then, remove the paint to reveal a more original look?

Nice...I have an Otari Reel to Reel that’s black and most of the silk screen “I’m guessing silk screen” paint is scratched off. I’m not sure how they have the template setup for different Marantz or if that could be changed. Is there a contact for the ones that do laseretcher/cutter?
I've talked to Tony about the process. They have to have a 100% good face to obtain a photographic image of the printing. They make a correctly sized pattern from that. Unfortunately, even on the same model, there are variations, so he has three or four patterns for just a 2230. And then the fabrication requires four different companies to perform various steps in the process - and most of them have a sizable minimum order. This is why a one-off or even a few pieces are not financiallly practical to do. You need a unit that has quite a bit of demand for the process to be feasible.

Could someone paint a "Silver" faceplate and then etch it. Then, remove the paint to reveal a more original look?
That would give you silver printing on a silver background. Even if it could be done, I'm not sure you would have anything usable when you were finished. And, like I said above, none of these are financially feasible unless there is significant demand because the only way to keep the price down is to have several thousand dollars worth made at the same time.

When Tony(an excellent engineer) Decided to Exit the retail market ,I was kind of frustrated, but a hobby seems to have gotten out of control his work,and everyone involved made the best quality faceplates for Marantz. I original order of 10 2275 (5blk/5Sil) was a couple grand. And ever one was used for a receiver that had major faceplate issues. I was very sorry to see him go. I do have to Complaint Tony as he set up a retail company online for techs, resellers, etc, and made a near perfect product. Unfortunately so many other specialized companies have to be involved I thing it is just not feasible unless a person put in full time hours. Tony and Bob. Your work will be missed

When Tony(an excellent engineer) Decided to Exit the retail market ,I was kind of frustrated, but a hobby seems to have gotten out of control his work, and everyone involved made the best quality faceplates for Marantz. I original order of 10 2275 (5blk/5Sil) was a couple grand. And ever one was used for a receiver that had major faceplate issues. I was very sorry to see him go. I do have to Complaint Tony as he set up a retail company online for techs, resellers, etc, and made a near perfect product. Unfortunately so many other specialized companies have to be involved I thing it is just not feasible unless a person put in full time hours. Tony and Bob. Your work will be missed
AK member Aaron99 got info from Tony about how he had those faceplates made. Then he bought much of the equipment to make them himself. He sells extremely nice silver and black brushed aluminum faceplates at vintagehifiaudio.com. So, are you saying you heard that Bob passed away, or were you just wondering? He has several units belonging to AK members, and they have been looking for them for a couple of years. Very little has been heard from him during that time.

Back
Top Bottom