Repurposing old parts into a Parallel Single Ended 45 Amp

analog addict

Glory or Death!
Finally got started on my next amp build, a PSE 45 amp running two 45s per channel for a whopping 3.5-4 watts per channel. I've already been asked, why bother? Two 45s is nothing more than a 2A3, right? Yes and no. Two 45s put out the same power as a 2A3, but a 45 doesn't sound like a 2A3. So, 2A3 power with 45 sound. Simple, huh?

One of my things is using as many old parts to build new amps. For example, these 4 pin sockets. They came out of an extremely old amplifier carcass of some type that had to have been from the 1930's This thought was confirmed when I looked up the manufacturer, American Phenolic of Chicago. They still exist today as Amphenol, and started off in 1932 with their first product, surprise surprise, a tube socket. I love the idea of using 80+ year old parts, especially since their innate quality is likely superior to today's new production.

Here I am rehabbing the sockets. First I had to disassemble the sockets and strip off all the old remaining wires and components.

Then I cleaned and filed the corrosion off the pins, finding them to be brass underneath. Then I tightened them with some needle noses, cleaned/sanded the circular retaining springs and fastening rings, and then reassembled them. To finish, I ran a dead tube with De-Oxit in and out of them and checked the contact points. Good to go.

Next, out of the old parts inventory, I found a pilot light that not only was black to match the future amp color, but had a twist ring on it that modulated the amount of light coming through. I was told that this type of light was common on WWII bombers such as B-29s to reduce the chance of being spotted by the enemy. Cool!

Here's the proposed layout over at Dennis Had's shop. Tony, his set up man does my metal work for me in exchange for tubes, so I don't have to do the part of this I like the least. (and that I am the worst at) He'll drill all the holes and get the chassis ready for me to JB Weld the corners, sand, prime and paint. He also paints up all the passive components and iron for me.

All the parts are NOS/recycled except for the caps, OPTs and missile switch cover. Aside from any other consideration, I save considerable scratch using these old parts.

So this amp uses 2 inductive and two resistive filtering stages to drop the ripple on the last stage feeding the driver tube to about 500 nanovolts. That stage will be further voltage regulated using two 0A3s and one 0C3 to 255 volts. The four 45s will be driven by a 6SN7. I won't be using Dennis' new Infinite Impedance Power Supply mod, since that only really shines with beam power tetrodes and not with triodes.

So while I wait for the chassis to come back, I'll round up the rest of the passive components and order any stray pieces I need. Stay tuned.....

I have recently become fascinated with old tube (2A3, 45, 300b, 211) amps and will be watching this thread for the outcome

I wish I could build these things myself

I think you can. As long as you can solder and read a schematic you definitely can. These SET amps are such simple designs. Here's the schematic from my last amp build, a 76-45 amp....

In the end there are a total of 5 resistors and 3 capacitors in each channel of that amp. (I removed the pseudo center tap resistor bridge since the 2.5V filament transformers wound up having a center tap)

The devil is really in the details. Designing and implementing a clean, ripple free power supply. Properly thinking out where and how to run the wiring, and trying to keep the AC separated from the DC. Using high quality components and knowing when not to skimp. Take your time, collect the components, buy some good OPT's, plan using the tremendous resource otherwise known as AK and have at it!

Cool,,, I do the same thing for builds,,, old parts are proven performers, cleaned up, they can be used again... I just found a pilot like yours in a box of parts a buddy gave me,,, Got a few really good tubes also!!!

This project might be a good vehicle to confirm that paralleling tubes results in higher distortion only when those tubes are mismatched. Most 2A3 tubes were constructed with two paralleled elements, as noted above. I doubt if it was possible to insure perfect element matching at the factory, so this theory could explain the noted sonic differences.

One thing to consider, is if you want, you could always run the amp with one 2A3 per side, without changing anything.

I love how the single plate JJ 2A3-40 sounds, it's in my main stereo amplifier.

I built the amp long ago, and the JJ is so much better sounding than the Chinese dual plate 2A3 there's no comparison. Can't commoned on old stock tubes, don't have any.

Last edited:
Man oh, man am I glad I found this thread!

Repurposing old parts, what?! But they're so... obsolete! :)

Cool stuff, Alan. And let me know if you need any parts - I have some old stuff around here, too.

Good thing you say oil or grease stains...I was thinking you really, really, really like that schematic...

Heh. I do like it a lot, but not that much. My mancave is a multipurpose multitasking sort of place, and I can't remember if it was furniture polish or gun oil on that rag that got absentmindedly tossed on top of the schematic. Oh well....

BTW: I really hope that XP machine you have isn't connected to the Internet...

-D

Got the chassis back, along with the painted parts. Unfortunately, one of the chokes that was expected to fit underneath is too tall, so I had to prime and paint this one myself. Looks pretty good though.

Put JB weld on the seams and corners in preparation for the pre-paint metal work....

Progress on the metal work....

The scarring from the Dremel isn't nearly as bad as the light makes it look. Once I scuff up the whole surface and spray primer, it should all blend in nicely. Supposed to be 63 and sunny today, so hopefully should be able to spray today....

Scuffed with coarse steel wool and wiped down with some Everclear to degrease....

First coat of primer is on. Wish I had done a better job on the corner...sigh....

60E74D9A-3BB8-4DE5-A0C7-D8AE078FABCD_zpsctdaifp5.jpg

Did add some magic hardwood smoke on the front end as well....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom