Requesting Input from Forum Members. Report here.

Discussion in 'AK New Format' started by goat67, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Spring ain't here... Subscriber

There aren't many choices left. vBulletin has imploded, becoming a bloated and unusable mess with (last time I checked) over 100 database queries to generate the forum's home page. Essentially they've done what they have been doing since version 3.8: piling way too much new code on top of old, inefficient legacy code. (I had to keep a heavily modified vB 3.7 for another "big board" just to make it play nice with the traffic we had.)

IPB (Invision ProBoard) is about the only other choice that is similar. And the problem there is that when they do version upgrades, it breaks just about everything--themes, plugins, etc.

Others have far fewer features (Burning Board, Vanilla Forums, etc.), and the freeware versions (having used most of them personally) are sorely lacking in many ways.

I run four other forums that us XF and have no issues whatsoever--best forum software I've used. There are some minor features missing, but mostly on the admin side of things. Each situation is different though. And the alternatives are such that XF was a default choice for the forums I've worked with.

2. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member Subscriber

Don't know if this has been addressed prior, so here goes

When I search for all my own created threads:
    by
    -click on search box
    -click on drop down menu lower right
    -click on Your Threads

I would like to see the post count as well as the VIEWED COUNT so I can rate threads by views

what say You?

Can't you just "Mod the SQL call"

add it to the list for the next 3:00 AM update

3. Dude111

Dude111 Analogue is Awesome

Its not as bad as other stuff mate!!!!!

VB5 is pure garbage..... Ugly and over bloated........ Xenforo really isnt that bad IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS!

4. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

doesn't show up in the listed "your threads" search list because the display is not like a forum listing. The info you seek IS viewable if you go to the forum you posted in (visible in the Your Threads results) and scroll to the day / date / page its on in that forum, and the post count and view count will be visible.

As for having that in the search thread for your "statistical" use as it were, an interesting request and possible option, although I suspect the search would then have to be output as a "forum" type page listing, instead of a search result listing.

5. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

I'll take your word for that.

6. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member Subscriber

Appy polly loggies if this has been noted prior

When I post a reply on a thread, I do not see the thread at the top of the thread list until someone ELSE posts a reply

Warum?

7. theophile

Ich weiss nicht.

8. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Me neither

9. theophile

I couldn't connect with AK for about an hour today.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Same for me - went offline/unresponsive at about 7:24am local time (GMT +1) - I didn't note what time it came back. (I was too happy :angel:)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. Freds.Bands

Freds.Bands Live Music Listener Subscriber

i did a grc.com fingerprints check on this site and would like to send the results to the webmaster -- if it would be useful.

12. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I would love to see gif avatars again. I miss Kermit Z's rocking kitty and several others. Possible?

13. Greg B.

Greg B. AK Donor

I belong to another forum that switched to this XenForo software at the beginning of the year. They had a lot of the same issues as AK during the switchover - unexpected things happening, expected things not happening, features not working, pictures disappearing. Also like this case, the admins who had to run it said they had no choice but to change software and this was the only one that made any sense. There were a lot of disgruntled users at first but many if not most ultimately came around to at least tolerate it.

But the Xenforo mindset or philosophy seems very different to some users and I am one of those. I don't like the Xenforo experience, from the truncated presentation of longer quotes in responses, to the numerous pop-ups and hover-overs, to the strange conversation mode for private messages, to the overall functionality and feature set, to the different and strange terminology they use. I tried to get used to it there but I just can't. I don't know what it is as I am not a technophobe and have used all sorts of forums for many years. Xenforo just seems weird or foreign for reasons I can't articulate. I expect there is a minority of users here like me. I wish them well in trying to adapt because it isn't easy.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    mhardy6647 likes this.
  14. Hifirob2

Hifirob2 NEC and Klipsch rock!

FWIW, all the issues that theophile has with the new format are the exact same issues I've been having the last year. I have even revisited all my watched threads (nearly 2000), and edited my watch preferences to make sure I get email notifications. It didn't help. I did it all again - to no avail. My AK presence has almost completely dried up because I get almost no email notifications (I used to get about 60 a day). For the few notifications I do get, there is no rhyme or reason as to why I'm getting a notification for that thread and not the many hundreds of others I watch. The only reliable email notification I get is when a member starts a conversation with me.

If I stumble upon a thread that I want to contribute to, I have to leave that thread open in a separate tab in my browser, and only close the tab when I feel the thread is done. Otherwise, I miss posts. I may get an alert, but it's rare. It's very aggravating that AK has become so difficult to follow, but that comes with change, I guess. Starting a new thread would be futile, so I don't do that anymore. I let my subscription expire a few weeks ago because I get very little benefit from AK anymore - just frustration. I've changed things up on my end over the last year - in the hopes that it was something I was doing wrong. I bought a new computer, changed ISPs, changed my OS, changed my email address, tried different browsers - nothing helped.

I can't be the only member with these issues (besides theophile). It feels like some members that were active before the format change seemed to have stopped posting, so some big glitch is affecting some members. A few members simply abandoned AK altogether, but still contact me via email.

15. theophile

I might be the only one who is aware of this thread and speaking out. I get a little bit of grief(microscopic) from one member who seems to react as if my speaking out is a personal insult to them, but as I keep explaining, if the ones who are working very,very hard to rectify these problems aren't told about them there may be no way to fix them.
    Keep making a noise, a polite noise, on this thread Rob. I feel for you because it is a shame to see over a decade of participation flushed through a software glitch.
    I mourn the loss of the AK Social Groups because a bunch of us had participated in Arkay's GT 2000 group for a couple of years. This was the only gathering of GT 2000 owners outside of Japan. Then with the move to the new format all of it was completely lost. That was a great, great pity. There is so little information on these magnificent turntables in any language other than Japanese and we had a group of non-Japanese owners who were sharing their experiences and could exchange ideas and posts. All that is gone in its entirety.

Hey, we get a 'like' button to console us. Yippee.

Bratwurst7s likes this.
  16. Greg B.

Greg B. AK Donor

In my case, I haven't posted barely at all for a few years here as my interests have changed. I popped in tonight for the first time in a long while, saw this new format section, and recognized the Xenforo look right away. This forum is much, much larger and more complex than the other that I mentioned that also moved, yet the issues encountered are remarkably similar. The other one did a better job of making the cosmetics look fairly similar to the old one, so there are fewer headaches (literally and figuratively) in that regard than some folks experienced here. @Hifirob2 and @theophile seem to be having issues that I didn't see in the other forum but I don't know if that means anything. I just find using Xenforo far more difficult than anything I've used elsewhere (although my limited experience with Vanilla Forums isn't great either). While I am now an infrequent visitor here for reasons other than the software, it pretty much made me stop visiting the other forum I used to frequent. I wish I could articulate why in a way that is better than "it is just confusing and off-putting to me", which is what it feels like to me.

17. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, to these points, I'm reviewing this thread because the system sent me an alert that someone had added a post to it! Looks to be working in just the way it is being criticized for not working! :dunno:

18. theophile

Well obviously I get alerts to some things, because I'm replying to this. Try not to be a smart arse. If you have posted on thousands of threads over 13 years and you find that you are only going to get alerts to a small percentage of them, you would have a valid reason to let others know about it.

19. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

YEAH!

[​IMG]

Wildcat and DrumminDaddy like this.
  20. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, I know the self-proclaimed audio gods here don't need to actually go along with the "no attitude" part of Audiokarma.
    Well, I can't try not to be smart and, as for the arse, well, everyone has one. You don't also have to be one.