Restore Marantz 2226B

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Noel Bilbro, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Noel Bilbro

Noel Bilbro New Member

[​IMG]

I reveived this Marantz 2226B for a good deal. I have decent enough experience soldering to PCB(making keyboards) so I think I could do a recap. I realize no one is going to hold my hand through the entire process but, I am quite lost when it comes to what brands/types to use for what and where the best place to source them. I anticipate it being a somewhat lengthy process. I don't expect to do it in an evening. I'll probably do one section at a time. Maybe amp and power supply, then preamp section, then maybe phono. I have some cleaner and lube and have researched enough to know what I am doing with that. Could anyone give me some pointers?

2. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Mouser and Digikey are two of the main sources for quality parts. Hopefully you can find a cap list somewhere for that unit. You will need a service manual, which you likely can get from Hifiengine.com (free membership required). By all means, build a Dim Bulb Tester to use every time you power the unit up after working on a section. It can save your bacon if there is a short or some other problem inadvertently introduced by your work. Also, if you haven't already, read this thread by Echowars where he tells you the tools you will need to work on audio gear. The first two items are the most expensive and are not needed for a recap of a working unit.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...udio-gear-eh-heres-the-tools-you-need.333423/

Jailtime likes this.
  3. Jailtime

Jailtime Standin' on a corner Subscriber

akdatabase.org will have the service manual also. Panasonic FC are good for power supply use, Elna Silmic II or Nichicon FG for audio, like the preamp and phono boards. Good idea to test after each board you have rebuilt, makes it easy to troubleshoot if you have problems.

There's no cap list for 2226B in the AK Database, but that one should be easy to take a look and build your own list. Good access to all the boards in it.

4. Noel Bilbro

Noel Bilbro New Member

Yes, I have the service manual and it lists every part including caps. Thanks for the tips and info.

5. Noel Bilbro

Noel Bilbro New Member

The service manual has the caps listed along with every other part. Is that the capacitor list I should use?

6. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

You should compare board by board with the manual parts list. Occasionally the board will have a different value from the SM list. If it does, and if you think everything looks original, go with the value on the board. That means physically Check each board against the parts list before ordering. Modern caps are generally smaller and better. In most cases, increase the voltage rating by one step: 16v go to 25v. 25v go to 35v, etc. this will get caps closer to original size and be a little more robust. Keep the capacitance the same unless you see a recommendation by a trusted tech on AK to increase the value.
    Also, Check and note cap polarity against the board silkscreen. Marantz is notorious for having one or two silkscreens reversed. If you empty a board and replace the caps by the silkscreen, you might have one go pop and take some things with it.