Restore of an all original Yamaha C-2a

VinylAddict8

If one had an all original C-2a, in current 100% working condition, how much would it cost do to a "full" restore to bring all the 40 year old components up to new and equal or better components?

Of course, one's definition of "full" restore may differ from person to person (as would the price to do it), there is no standard definition. So instead of getting specific, I'll open it up to discussion on what it would cost.

Also, any recommendations on who could do the work would be appreciated.

how much would it cost do to a "full" restore to bring all the 40 year old components up to new and equal or better components?
The original transistors have better spec's than most new transistors. They just don't make'm like they used to.

The original transistors have better spec's than most new transistors. They just don't make'm like they used to.
I agree, I've read a lot about that...

But when they were new... they are 40 years old, and although spec'd better when new, they don't last forever and degrade, no?

Also understand they could still test to tolerance after forty years, but not trying to turn this into the "if it ain't broke...." debate --- if I bought a 40 year old original amp, my inclination / preference would be to replace the capacitors, transitors... just to avoid that debate.

If transistors are run hard they will degrade but if they are kept in their SOA and aren't a known troublemaker there's absolutely no reason to replace them. As Avionic says, they just don't make them like they used to. High gain, high bandwidth transistors just aren't as much of a thing anymore and that's not even getting into the FETs that haven't been made for decades.

If transistors are run hard they will degrade but if they are kept in their SOA and aren't a known troublemaker there's absolutely no reason to replace them. As Avionic says, they just don't make them like they used to. High gain, high bandwidth transistors just aren't as much of a thing anymore and that's not even getting into the FETs that haven't been made for decades.
Understood and agreed. Again, for purposes of this thread, assume they were run hard and the goal is to replace them. The thread is asking about a restore.... not to debate whether or not they should be...

clinic audio
THanks. I actually saw a flash of a post you put up with a number :) which I was going to reply that is actually very reasonable....

Then I was going to ask what does that entail or assume that is being replaced --- all electrolytics and transistors? More?

But you deleted it, so I won't discuss the number, but interested what your thoughts were on totality of components. I also know from reading threads the last couple of years you (avionic) have a lot of experience on this front, and many have even done a C-2a or two.... knowing you like the C-4 due to the phono stage (among other reasons)... which I have considered too! Cheers.

Last edited:
Discussing dollars and advertising is against AK rules under this forum.I'm a known Yamaha tech.Just covering my arse.

Discussing dollars and advertising is against AK rules under this forum.I'm a known Yamaha tech.
I figured as much... thought about that after posting, then realized it after you deleted. Thanks for letting me know that.

On a non-cost related topic... what other than transistors, capacitors are targeted on a C-2a restore, if you don't mind sharing your thoughts? I've also heard the 2a is tougher to work on than other C-2 counterparts, like the C-2x for instance.

Replacing all components will cost you more than 2 YAMAHA C2A in working order , parts + labour !

I don't understand this idea to replace working transistors because they are 40 years old .....? A silicon transistor is not a tube (who get bad with time because you use them ) or a resistor who may change value with time . A silicon transistor do not change .
You do what you want but this is your time and your money
I have serviced over 30/35 YAMAHA C2A

Back
Top Bottom