Restore + Repair Yamaha C-2a & C-80 / M-80

How do you want me to test the transistors ? with the right tool (not ohm meter . It will not tell you if the TR is leaking .....Diode meter may be used but it will tell you if the TR is shorted nothing else

out of circuit if you want to be sure : yes always

with a diode test ? not good enough for me

Do you have some new TR ?

I just have half an hour for you tonight (it is late here)

How do you want me to test the transistors ? with the right tool (not ohm meter . It will not tell you if the TR is leaking .....Diode meter may be used but it will tell you if the TR is shorted nothing else

out of circuit if you want to be sure : yes always

with a diode test ? not good enough for me

Do you have some new TR ?

I just have half an hour for you tonight (it is late here)

I don't have any new transistors...

I was waiting to put in my order but I guess the time is now.

I only have the diode test... some day I will get a transistor checker.

So I do anything else or wait for new transistors?

yes only on the working channel not on the other one (bad)

most important : stay in stereo do not swith to mono

Last edited:
using the dim bulb tester... if i touch TR527 the light bulb dims and then glows according to when I touch it...

I too just recently got a c2a with similar symptoms, right channel has 37V on testpoints and on stereo right ch has no output (luckily since it would've fried my speakers) and on mono both channels play. I've measured few transistors as of now and at least TR520 or 522 is open. I pulled both and mixed them up. Is it safe to power with these two removed?

I too just recently got a c2a with similar symptoms, right channel has 37V on testpoints and on stereo right ch has no output (luckily since it would've fried my speakers) and on mono both channels play. I've measured few transistors as of now and at least TR520 or 522 is open. I pulled both and mixed them up. Is it safe to power with these two removed?

It's probably best to start your own thread. This one's not really active anymore. I was unable to resolve my issues and sent it to be looked at by a professional.

I will update this thread when I've gotten it back and have news of what was wrong. If it can be repaired. (hopefully)

Back
Top Bottom