Restored my HH Scott 299 – Long!

njcanuck

aka: MacGyver
Just spent a little time doing a basic restore of my Scott 299 (2nd version). As it was only through the generous help offered in previous AK threads that I was able to accomplish this, I am documenting my restore so that it may help others. This is my first one!

I acquired my 299 in very nice cosmetic shape but non-functional. The original Scott 7189 power tubes were shot and when new tubes were substituted, one would immediately red-plate causing me to suspect bad coupling caps.

Besides basic recapping, I decided to install bias sensing resistors, test jacks and individual channel adjustment pots. Additionally, to tighten bass response, I raised the values of the coupling caps by 50% as well as the main power filters to be able to take advantage of this mod (most of this info was derived from an old NOS Valves posts regarding a 299B – thanks Craig!). I chose Sonicaps Gen II for coupling caps – great reviews and reasonable price.

Rather than change everything at once, I proceeded in sections and tested the amp after each section. The first order of business was to get it working so that I could test after each change. I used a Fluke 111 meter for all measurements.

Here is the process I followed in order:

Power tube coupling caps - replaced Pyramid .1uF/400V with Sonicap .15uF/600V. Plugged in 6P14P’s and warmed it up on the variac. Red-plating gone! Whoops, not so fast – it’s back. Old caps tested within spec so it wasn’t that. After much frigging around (and some tube wiggling) I discovered a bad pin 2 socket that wasn’t making proper contact. I swapped it with an unused socket (they come out from the top) and it really was fixed!

Selenium rectifier – replaced with a RadioShack bridge 400V 8A and changed the first 10Ω dropping resistor to a 22Ω 5W. At 117 line voltage, this gives me -45.5V at the first 12AX7 or approx -11.4V for each tube.

Test jacks and Bias pots – added a terminal strip and lifted all pin 3 grounds to the strip and then ran matched 10Ω 1/4W resistors from the strip to pin 3’s. The tip jacks were installed on the top of the rear panel and wired to the pin 3’s. The ground jack is wired to the ground terminal strip. Two additional 10KΩ linear bias pots (to control bias individually to each channel) were installed next to the DC balance pots. The circuit mimics the 233 schematic but takes its voltage supply from the original bias pot and uses two 15KΩ resistors for the ground reference.

Power supply caps – I restuffed the original cans to retain the original appearance. The two 30uF/20uF/475V cans were upped to 47uF/33uF/450V Nichicons (the old caps all tested slightly higher than spec). The two 75uF/75uF/10uF/75V cans were stuffed with 75uF/80V Nichicons and 10uF/150V Sprague Atoms. (The old 75’s all tested very poorly at around 9uF! The 10’s were ok). The two 10’s were strapped together for a little extra bias filtering (originally, one was unused). The 20uF/20uF/450V-25uF/25uF/25V can was stuffed with 33uF/450V Nichicons and 25uF/25V Sprague Atoms.

Signal and Inverter caps – The two .022uF/400V Pyramid inverter caps were replaced with .022uF/600V Sonicaps (the old tested at .032uF and open!). The .047uF/400V signal coupling caps were replaced with .068uF/600V Sonicaps (old all tested within spec). The two .0012uF Ceracaps were replaced with .0012uF/600V Sonicaps (old tested .011 and .003).

Misc caps – The 10uF/25V in the bias circuit was replaced with a Sprague Atom 10uF/25V (old tested at 1uF). The 4uF/250V was replaced with a Sprague Atom 4uF/250V (old tested at 5uF).

Spike caps and line voltage – The two .001uF/2500V spike caps were replaced with Sprague .001uF/1600V. To adjust the line voltage down from 120V I installed a terminal strip and a CL-80 thermistor on each leg of the power line. This brought the 120V down to 116.5V and provides a nice soft power-up.

Voltage Measurements – At 117 input voltage (measured after thermistors pushed with a variac) the regular 6P14P tubes are biased at .23V, plate voltages average 376V and screens average 324V.

She’s been up and running through my Klipsch Chorus II’s for about 6 hours now and sounding very, very good. She’s also very quiet with these very sensitive speakers (except for one damned flickering neon on the right channel – fortunately not heard at normal listening levels – gotta fix that next). Sometime, down the road, I’ll address the control caps but they are sounding pretty good for now. All key resistors were within spec but I’ll also monitor those going forward.

If any of our AK experts sees any mistakes or improvements to the above, please chime in. That being said, I think I did pretty well for my first effort! Hope this adds to the AK body of knowledge and helps someone else with a future restore.

OK, time for a drink! :beer:

Attachments

• S299-01.jpg
    S299-01.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 474
  • S299-02.jpg
    S299-02.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 480
  • S299-03.jpg
    S299-03.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 512
  • S299-04.jpg
    S299-04.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 459
  • S299-05.jpg
    S299-05.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 750
Very nice rebuild! Well documented & well written. I think I'm going to add the pair of CL-80 thermistors to mine as well - my house voltage is 124v.....anyway, nice job! :thmbsp:

That is how I did my 299, first edition. Only difference was to use Orange Drops of the same value but 600 WVDC of course. Same value for the bias bridge. Note that the 12AX7 tubes did not have 12.6 volts on them by design (by Scott) so that is correct. You will most likely find that resistors have not drifted from the original values. They were excellent resistors. Unfortunately, the capacitor design of the time was not to last for 50-60 years. But it was what they had.

Good on ya Mate!

Thanks guys. It was an educational experience. I was surprised to see that the main power caps still measured well but was just as surprised to see that all four 75 ohm bias supply caps had deteriorated badly.

I learned a lot about tube matching as well. I have a dozen Russian 6P14P's that all test very close to each other on my emissions tester but were all over the map when in the amp. For matching purposes, I set the bias supply to -12V on each socket and then inserted tubes (and 5AR4) to measure the current draw (hope I got this right). I was able to find four that were very close but also had four others that drew so high that I didn't have enough bias adjustment to bring them down into usable range.

The CL-80 thermistors worked out great. Thanks to Kegger for that suggestion!

Thanks also to our Scott guru, Craig (NOS Valves) for the coupling caps mod - this amp really has balls in the bass dept.!

I'm actually in the middle of rebuilding a 299 now.

This one, I'm trying to do a 'max bang for the buck' rebuild... which means using the simplest, most effective method, without using any "exotic" or hard-to-find parts, but doing everything necessary to make the amp sound good and be brick-reliable.

The HV can caps were replaced by a JJ 32/32uf for the cap first off the rectifier tube, then a JJ 50/50uf (the other one next to the rectifier), and a JJ 32/32uf (in place of the 20/20/25/25). The remaining 25uf/25v caps in the can near the front, were replaced by under-the-chassis 22uf @ 50v caps in parallel with the 1500 ohm cathode resistors (I wired the resistors directly to the cathode pins on the tube sockets, instead of the yellow jumper wires to the can cap that was originally there).

I rebuilt the bias supply, with under-the-deck 100uf 100v caps for the four 100uf can sections (I left the original bias supply can caps on there, just disconnecting everything except the grounds), a 22uf 35v cap in place of the 10uf 25v, and a 47uf 100v cap in place of the 10uf (across the input of the bias pot). Fortunately, there's enough room in there for these caps to sneak in underneath the resistors (I used 105C degree caps, to make sure that heat would not be an issue).

Coupling caps are the "standard" yellow mylar/polyester 630v caps, in place of the original Pyramid caps. Several of these Pyramid caps were split and seeping/leaking from inside! I kept to original values. The .0012uf caps I replaced with .001 with 200pf mica caps in parallel, to dial in the value to within 2% of original value.

So far, I've only replaced the paper caps that are exposed to DC voltage (B+ or cathode or bias). I'm going to try the amp out like this, and check for any malfunctions. From past experience, this usually does the trick... signal caps not exposed to DC voltage hardly ever start to have issues...

Now, I just have to put in 10 ohm 1/4w bias sense resistors on the output tubes (I'm going to move the cathode grounds from pin 3, to pin 6 on the output tube sockets, and wire the 10 ohm resistors between pin 3 and pin 6), and find a replacement for a broken .22pf cap on the stereo-mono switch. That broken .22pf cap the only hitch in getting it done...

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
It's a later-model A (7189 outputs , but with two can caps next to the rectifier tube- same model as the OP in this thread).

I took before pictures of the inside- I'll take the same shots again once I'm done, and post them up.

Regards,
Gordon.

Now you got me worried. I'm going to have to open mine up again and check on those! 0.22pF - sheeesh!

If the .22pf caps ain't broke, don't mess with them!

They don't see any DC, so they shouldn't go out.

Unless there's physical damage (one in this unit was broken in half), they should probably be OK.

Regards,
Gordon.

Whew! Mine are ok. Here's what they look like if anyone can help Gordon:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Caps TinyPF.jpg
    Caps TinyPF.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 735
bump

I have a three-prong polarized cord for my mains now (Scott 299D). I want to use at least one CL-80 on my 'hot' wire. Should I go ahead and install three of them; one on the neutral and one on the ground, as well?

The only purpose would be in case a home outlet would be wired incorrectly, AFAIK.

The CL-80s are in series with the main, correct? All the current goes through them (?)

I have a three-prong polarized cord for my mains now (Scott 299D). I want to use at least one CL-80 on my 'hot' wire. Should I go ahead and install three of them; one on the neutral and one on the ground, as well?

The only purpose would be in case a home outlet would be wired incorrectly, AFAIK.

The CL-80s are in series with the main, correct? All the current goes through them (?)

No, just two. One on the black and one on the white. The green/ground is not part of the circuit. Note that you should check your mains voltage first to see if you even need to do this. If it's around 120v it's a good idea but if it's normally 117v, you don't need to.

My voltage was at 123v the other day. I'll go ahead with the CL-80s.

Regarding the ground, the neutral and ground wires in a house outlet generally go back to the same buss bar in the entrance panel, do they not? The AC neutral is also earth ground, AFAIK.

Was I right about all the current going through the CL-80, it's wired in series?

I just check my entrance panel. And I just thought this through. You're right, a CL-80 would never be needed on the ground no matter if the outlet is wired wrong. The CL-80s need to go in series, with all current going through them, is this right?

First just check the voltage at the outlet - no need to check the panel.

Second, yes the CL-80s are wired in series with the amp although I prefer to install them so that the amp is sandwiched between them. Ie: one on each leg of the mains as it enters the amp.

Thank you for sharing this. I am in the proces of getting ready to have my 299 rebuilt and this is a tremendous resource.

Whew! Mine are ok. Here's what they look like if anyone can help Gordon:

attachment.php

Old thread- but it looks like I didn't post up how I fixed the .22pf cap issue.

Turns out, that capacitance that low, can be generated JUST by twisting two thin insulated wires together for about an inch or so total length, and heat shrinking them together. I used some old insulated phone wire (22g, IIRC), and just twisted it together until my capacitance meter read .22pf. I then heat shrinked them together.

So, I guess I technically had a .22pf PVC cap (since that's what the insulation looked to be made of). :D

Worked just fine.

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom