Restoring a Pioneer PL-630 Turntable

Discussion in 'DIY' started by pustelniakr, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Subscriber

The pickup plate must be properly positioned, or you will have all kinds of issues. When the tonearm is in its rest, the set screw should be facing straight back. To fine tune, set the drop point adjustment screw to mid-point. Then adjust the rotational position to get the drop point very near to correct. Then the drop point adjustment screw can be tweaked for fine tuning. Make sure that the pick-up plate is vertically adjusted on its shaft, so that it does not rub on the optical pickups, or you will have skipping during play.

If the platter still does not stop when the tonearm is in its rest, you will have a bad photo transistor, or led, or control chip. You are entering an area where a knowledgeable tech will be needed.

Good luck,
    Rich P

2. sl-15

sl-15 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the answer. I did position the pick up plate accordingly but it did not make any difference. My guess is that the photo transistor, which is called the Rest Switch in the service manual, might be damaged or something in the corresponding circuit. I am sure that photo transistor would not even be available anymore.

3. pustelniakr

That is a good likely culprit. I think I have participated in a thread where I remotely assisted a DIY'r to repair his PL-630 that had the same problem. I will go look for it. If I find it, I will come back and post a link to it.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. pustelniakr

5. junior72

junior72 Hi-wood-Fi

Hi, Great thread you have here Rich!
    I was just wondering about what you wrote in user control work part 6: Remove the speed select and quartz lock switches, remove the phenolic cover plates, and manually polish the contacts with a non-abrasive pencil eraser (DeOxit is not good enough for these switches (silver contacts that turn badly black), then corrode right back up), then put some Deoxit in for lube and anti-corrosion properties, and reassemble (Better be real careful with this operation, as these switches are VERY delicate. Also, you do not need to remove the springs and front pieces to open up the switches.

My issue here is that when I use the pitch meter(non active quartz) everything is ok when i turn pitch adjust screw, the needle meter moves nicely back and forth. But, when I activate the quartz, the meter needle goes a little to the right of perfect pitch, if I slightly(very carefully) touch the button the needle will go to perfect pitch again. I think It must be a bad contact here. I must mention it only affects the needle in the meter and not the actual speed of the platter. Any suggestions on how to solve this Rich? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  6. pustelniakr

You may not need to disassemble the switches. Just spray DeOxit D5 from the back, then actuate the each control 40-50 times. Wait 30 minutes, spray in a bit more, and actuate around 30 times more. The problem should clear up. The controls in question are Speed Select, Quartz Lock, and Pitch.

You will have to open the unit up. You cannot get the DeOxit in until you do.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

7. GKoefer

GKoefer New Member

I have this unit, and it presents inconsistent problems with speed, and I would like to get my unit rebuilt as noted above. I contacted you a few months back, but sensed you were pretty busy- would you be willing to restore my unit now? I live in Dallas, and can arrange to professionally pack and ship the unit to you, when you are ready. Can you tell me the price- my e-mail is gkoefer@att.net. Thank you, Gregg

8. GKoefer

GKoefer New Member

I forgot to note that I have used DeOxit, which seemed to work for a while, but I think it is getting beyond the point of no return.

9. pustelniakr

The boards are inappropriate places to conduct business. Private messaging or email are best for that kind of communication.

Rich P

10. tom arnott

tom arnott New Member

Do you have list of caps for this pl630? And where is the best place to get them? I have 2 of them. I would like to do this to one that is not working real well.

11. pustelniakr

Some folks provide recap lists. However, such lists generally prove to be unreliable, because any particular model of equipment undergoes many changes during its production life. There is nothing more frustrating than ordering all you need for a piece, and to be in the middle of a tough job, only to discover the need for a different value, voltage, or unexpected part. You then buy the part and pay the shipping premium, only to discover that you need another one, and so forth. Even I go through each piece, account for each cap, and mark it as considered, then I generate a purchase list for that piece. I do order extras each time, so I have various values and voltages in stock, if I miss something.

As for types and sources, this previous post in this very thread addresses that: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....a-pioneer-pl-630-turntable.92333/#post-928141

Good luck,
    Rich P

12. GKoefer

GKoefer New Member

Rich,

I am ready for you to fully recap and re-work my PL-630- it works fine right now, but I want to do it for longevity. Can you shoot me an e-mail to gkoefer@att.net and let me know if you have a suitable shipping box, and tell me the approximate total I need to pay you. the unit will ship from a Dallas business address. Thank you, Gregg Koefer

13. GKoefer

GKoefer New Member

OK- can I get your e-mail?

14. pustelniakr

In the upper right of this page there is a link, "Inbox," which provides a means of private communication with folks in the forum.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

15. amit46

amit46 Member

excellent job done.......I too had restored my Sony and Technics turntable in the same fashion..........

16. junior72

junior72 Hi-wood-Fi

Thanks! Now it Works perfectly, had to order Deoxit from sweden.

17. tube tied

tube tied AK Subscriber Subscriber

Rich, I too want to thank you for this thread!

I was iced in over the weekend so I had the time to do the restoration on my 630 per your advice. I haven't had a speed flutter since!

I am now trying different cartridges from my collection to hear what matches up best with the arm. So far a Denon DL-60 (moving magnet) and a Nagatronic's 195IE (moving iron) sound fantastic! A Denon DL-103D didn't pass the test...too compliant, I believe.

I did a search to see what others ran on their 630's and came up with some info to get a fix on the mass of the arm. Since mid-compliant carts are working well so far, I believe it falls in the medium mass category. In the last couple of years I have come to understand the "numbers" don't always tell the whole story, so I experiment. If the cart/arm doesn't make me want to put the next record on, I set it aside knowing it's day will come.

I understand you like the Benz Micro MC Silver which tracks @ 1.7-1.9 grams...which fits into my theory of mid compliance. May I ask if you like the Silver because it is high output and thus will fit more peoples needs, or does it have something over the Gold (low output) that I don't understand because I haven't heard them?

Thanks again!

18. pustelniakr

Hi,

I like the Silver because it images like a video. I am guessing but, I would expect the Gold to be pretty much like the Silver, but requiring a pre-amp or transformer. My gear consists of pre-MC equipment. Yamaha pre-amps included MC capability, but most of Pioneer gear (my specialty) did not. I may go for an MC pre-amp at some time in the future, but what I have sounds good enough so that I am not motivated to experiment further. I have not tried a cart on the PL-630 that I did not like. I have reviewed several here on AK. If you go for the gold, I would be interested to see what you thought of it.

BTW, I run my MC-Silver at 2.00g.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

19. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Rich,
    I am in the midst of following this authoritative guide on my 610 and am at the cleaning of the tonearm lifter. Step 9 says to apply a drop of tri-flow on the motor shaft bushing. What/where is this?

Thank!

20. Binkman

Binkman Addicted Member

motor has two bushings;. rear is usually less a shot of lube front? don't over to it. dab of grease perhaps. (a small one)

good luck.