Restoring a Pioneer PL-630 Turntable

Discussion in 'DIY' started by pustelniakr, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Super Mod Subscriber

Tri-Flow is a teflon-bearing light lube (spray). The carrier evaporates away, leaving the residual lubricating elements behind. Spray a bit of Tri-Flow into its cap, and dip into the liquid with a wooden toothpick. Apply what you pick up to the motor shaft where it exits the housing, until you see a nice indication of wetness (but not too much). Both ends, if they are visible and accessible ( I don't remember). Spin the shaft for a bit, to distribute the lube, while it is still wet.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

2. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great thanks, easy enough. Basically trying to get a little of the lubricant down into the shaft I am guessing. ?

Also, the work I am doing is on a 610 - the non automatic version of teh 630. The user controls are therefore quite different with less of them. The 610 does not have a Start/Stop button which you dont have anything on for cleaning. it does have a arm lifter that looks the same. Is there anything that should be done to this for cleaning?

3. pustelniakr

The controls that rotate or move in and out a significant amount are OK for DeOxit. The ones that just move a very small amount, and provide a bit of click feeling, are snap dome switches, and attempts at cleaning them, in any way, will damage them.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

4. Ricktptman

Ricktptman There are two kinds of Music: Good & Bad-Ellington Subscriber

I've got two of these and the first one (the one I've had the longest) did just fine after I went through it. But the second one has this troubling, persistent problem with speeding up well outside of normal parameters. (In excess of 78rpm, WELL in excess).
    But if I stop it, and start it again from a dead stop (while the tone arm still was still engaged) it will return to the correct (aligned) speed. Quartz Lock being engaged does not affect the problem. It does it on both "sides" of the speed control.

5. pustelniakr

You will likely need a proprietary control chip. I hesitate to tell you which one, because you will need an oscilloscope and service manual to begin troubleshooting. If a chip is needed, you will have to get one from a parts unit.

Sorry for the bad news,
    Rich P

6. Ricktptman

Ricktptman There are two kinds of Music: Good & Bad-Ellington Subscriber

Thanks, Rich. You are the MAN, when it comes to these 'tables. Your restorations were a big help in working on both of these. I actually DO have a parts carcass 630 that I've taken parts from for both of these units. (Fascia, Appearance type....)
    I'm sure I have the chip in the "sacrificial" unit. I have both an original SM (came with the parts sacrifice unit) and an Oscilloscope. Which chip? I may have two of them (exclusive of this third unit, which is otherwise really nice) if the chip's on the "Meter/Speed Control" board.
    Thanks in advance! (PM me, if that's preferable.....)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. pustelniakr

Start a new thread, begin it by restating your symptoms, and a list of your available parts and test equipment, then PM me a link to the new thread.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

8. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Finished the restoration of my PL-610 and it is working like a champ! Thanks Rich for this very helpful and informative thread. it was a lifesaver and made the project fun.

Now on to the 630 that came along int he middle of my work on the 610 for a price I could not pass up.

pustelniakr likes this.
  9. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Hi Rich! First of all i´d like to thank you for your work, it helped me a lot so far. Sorry if my english is not good but i´m from Argentina (we speak spanish). I´ll try to explain my problem as good as i can to see if i can get any help.
    With the help of your guide i've succesfully repaired many things that were wrong with my unit. However i couldnt get to work properly the REPEAT MODE. Let me explain myself:
    1- when in press the start button, the tone arm lifts up and moves to the exact position it is supposed to (after some calibration of course, including all the steps in your tutorial). The record starts and plays ok until the end.
    2- when the records ends, the auto return function works ok an it returns to the rest position without any problem.
    3- if i press the stop button at any time, it will always work ok, leading the arm to its rest position an stopping the spinning of the platter.
    4- WHEN THE REPEAT BUTTON IS ON, the records stars playing ok until the end. The auto return works again ok , BUT when the arm moves towards the begining of the record to start again (to repeat), IT FAILS THE PLACE WHERE IT DROPS THE STYLUS, an it drops it about 1,5cm out of the record, outside the platter!!!

I've checked a few things:
    - the pickup plate clears the bottom and edge of the optical sensor. I've read the service manual but i cant find any reason why it is working this way.
    - I thought that it might be in relationship whith the slits in the plate and the optical sensor, but i dont understand why it ONLY FAILS in the REPEAT mode.
    - Could the gear/plate "A"and the microswitches be involved?

I'd really apreciate Rick and everyone else opinions about this. I love this turntable, and i dont trust anyone else to touch it, so i'm looking foward your help! Thank you very much in advance.
    Rodrigo

10. pustelniakr

Common, and not correctable problem. There is no separate adjustment for the repeat drop point. Sorry.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

11. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Thank you very much for your help Rick. That was a really fast response! I feel a little disapointed that it is not correctable, but i think i can live without the repeat function. This forum and this post are the best.
    Regards,
    Rodrigo

12. Litesol

Litesol New Member

Hi Rich ,

Great tutorial!

13. Mark_71

Mark_71 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree, this is one beautiful turntable. I'm a Technics TT guy by tradition. My everyday machine is a simple SL-D202. But I have a PL-630 vacuum sealed and boxed up in storage. I don't have the room for it now. Someday. I'm also a bit intimidated by it compared to my other TTs. Just seems more complex than my Technics semi-automatics (and I know how to fix them should I screw something up). So I treat with all the respect it deserves.

I love the fact that is either fully automatic or manual. Great aesthetics. So many turntables look alike, but nothing else looks like this. I paid a good amount for mine, and I was able to buy the original manuals, original headshell, extra mat, and even an extra dustcover. I go a bit overboard with getting the original stuff that came with it. If I can I get magazine ads or sales brochures too. It was fully operational when I bought it and only needed a little tonearm descent adjustment... the PL-630 just doesn't ship well from my experience, but I was pleased that's the only adjustment it needed. I also cleaned and DeoxIT'd it thoroughly.

When I finally get around to using it I'm not sure what receiver or int amp I'll use. I have three: Technics SA-700, Technics SA-800, and an old Sansui AU-999. Maybe I should get a Pioneer to match, that's a good excuse to buy something I've always wanted anyway.

14. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Hello again Rich. I just wanted to tell you that i am happy to say i have SOLVED the problem with the REPEAT function in my unit. (I told you about it a few months ago)

I had previously told You that i followed your guide, but in fact, there were some steps i could not perform due to lack of time or phisical resources. I must confess i did not use rubber rejuvenator because i could not find it in my area of residence.
    After reading carefully the service manual (100 times aprox!) i realised i was chasing the wrong answer to the problem. The answer that worked for me was this one:
    - the drive contact roller is made of rubber.
    - This roller is in contact with the driver edge from the tone arm (and makes the arm motion possible)
    - As you state in your excelent description, i should have used rubber rejuvenator in that piece of rubber (but i didnt had it at that time!!!). The rollers rubber integrity is crucial to assure an optimal contact between these two parts (roller and driver edge).
    - Moreover, the rubber from the arm lifter (the one that its in direct contact with the arm) was too slippery (it had grease and dust). So i cleaned it up with a soft wiper. This action helped to remove that grease and to make it act as a "brake" for the arm while it was (now) efficiently pulled by an adecuate contact between the the drive rubber roller and the driver edge of the tonearm assy.

I hope this solution helps someone else. It worked for me at least.
    Be aware that this is not the final solution for all the REPEAT problems in ALL the units out there. This mechanisms are too complex and many parts are involved But i think if you follow meticulously ALL STEPS IN RICH's GUIDE, you may learn a lot, and have a lot of fun and satisfactions too!

RICH, THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN !!!
    YOU CANT IMAGINE HOW grateful iam!!
    thanks to YOUR GUIDE AND YOUR HUGE HELP there is another fully operational pl630 working out there!!!

Pd: now, next step is recapping! (It will be very hard to found those caps in my country, but i ll do my best!)

Regards
    Rodrigo

pustelniakr and smurfer77 like this.