Restoring a set of EPI 50 speakers.

CT Jim

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm planning on redoing a set of EPI 50 speakers in cherry veneer, just because I prefer a lighter color. After recapping, I would like to replace the grill cloth, but so far not finding that style of cloth. If something cannot be found that is somewhat similar, I guess i can redo the grilles with whatever my mood dictates from a fabric store of speaker cloth supplier.
Has anyone found the old style EPI 50 cloth?

I've never found anything close. MarZutra said that he did. Look for his EPI 1000 thread.

Being so small you could cut what you need from any other EPI grill from that era.

The 50's are great little speakers.
I have several pairs of them.

Be sure to post pictures as you go.

Yeah, would love to see that little speaker in cherry veneer. Since you're already diverging from stock finish for the cabinets, maybe you could consider a parallel approach for grille cloth - - - perhaps go much lighter like the early AR-Dynaco-Advents that were varieties of nubby off-white linens or similar.

I have considered that because I have a set of A25s and like that "linen slubby" look. I also ordered a piece of brown/black matrix cloth which almost has that linear look of the old cloth. Once it arrives if I don't like it I'll use it on a set of spks I sell.

I decided to do the cherry because of where I want to use them, and it's a fun hobby woodworking and repairing stuff.

good read, I think the sequence works! I don't think I'll redo the interior edges because the grilles sit flush with the front edge. I will be using the PVA sheet for the sides and I have preglued strip banding for the edges. When ordering edge banding you need to be aware of the widths available AND your sequence. If you order 3/4" you would need to put the edging on first, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cover the side edge. I think I ordered 7/8" to give me a little play.

I bought my 50s brand new, and they are still doing yeoman service in my wife's system. In the LR. I had to replace the rubber surrounds, after about 35 years of use. The speaker responded well to XO rebuild. I used Dayton 1% caps, ww resistors, and PE binding posts. This allowed me to tighten up the cabinet seal, as the old spring clips and rivets were a small leak point.

Cherry? One of my favourite woods. Those should be gorgeous! Good luck with them.

I have a pair of 50s just like the ones my college roommate had back in the 70s. I really like them and had to have 'em. They sit up high on top of the tall shelf ends of the desk unit in a small room. They are perfect for a small room. They are sitting idle, right now, because the receiver I had them hooked up to in my "work-from-home office" weht b-z-z-z-z-z-zt and one side was gone. Have to hook up another, but haven't gotten around to it and that room has become a "storage room" since I retired.... BUT.... it's gonna become a restoration work room! :)

Thanks for the restoration post! I like my enclosures, but I think I might see an internal rebuild project in their future. ;)

Back
Top Bottom