Restoring an AU-X1

Changing the 80v 10,000s? WOW...You're really going for the brass ring aren't you.

Got to say though, I've considered cramming those Nichicon Fine Golds into my X1.
The only thing that stopped me was all the work that getting those things to fit would have involved.

Still, I think they will just barely fit in there.

(It all sounds a bit salacious doesn't it? Oh well.)

This makes me want to try an experiment or two. We shall see. :idea:

Last edited:
If 40mm diameter - 4-pin snap-in's (Lead pitch 22.5mm) can be used as a replacements for the 8 main smoothing cap's within the Sansui AU-X1 - then could use Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) 382 or 383 series - currently stocked at Digikey

10000uF 80V (85°C) Dia:40 Height:50mm - 382LX103M080N052
10000uF 80V (105°C) Dia:40 Height:63mm - 383LX103M080N062

12000uF 80V (85°C) Dia:40 Height:63mm - 382LX123M080N062
12000uF 100V (85°C) Dia:40 Height:80mm - 382LX123M100N082

12000uF 100V (105°C) Dia:40 Height:80mm - 383LX123M100N082

Thanks AUD101 - I was trying to get 'solder lugs' or 'screw' fixing ideally, but may have to relent, and work out something for snap-in types. I am definitely not looking for a value increase - 10000 or a very modest increase to 12000 maybe - but only because of parts suitability or availability.

It looks like, with custom designed capacitor clamps to hold all four (on each side) you could just get away with 50mm diameter capacitors - but only just.

Also I am not entirely convinced by CDE as a desirable capacitor to use, I would really like to use Kemet (BHC) - anyway this pie-in-the sky at the moment, I'll have to save my pennies for 8 at as much as an average of around £20 each - or more. With all the other work I haven't actually checked the ripple ! - but this is because I want to re-install the original output transistors first, so they are pulling the correct amount of current before I do this. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks John, fitting in 8 x 50mm diameter is a stretch - but I will try to do it if I can. (63mm is out of the question).

Last edited:
John, IF you are going to take a listen with the "dummy" transistors MJ21193/94 - I'd be curious to know how the sonics change when the much faster originals come in. Also, regarding the CDE383/382 series for supply caps, they are excellent as rock steady juice suppliers. I have only compared them to the non-super KG's, and only on a 555a, yet here I actually preferred the CDE for their low end response, without giving up anything else to my ears. At least new caps should assure a stable and trusty feed vs the 35 year old caps which degree of degradation and remaining life is unknown.

Hi Tom, No I won't be listening with the sacrificial transistors installed - as I only have one pair installed per channel, and this thing takes 3 pairs per channel, so I think the results would be a bit unfair to the poor old MJ's. :)

Thanks for the info about the capacitors, I have the germ of an idea forming in my mind about this... regarding 50mm capacitor clamps and how to mount them... (or rather how to 'pack them in' to the available space).

Last edited:
Phase 1 complete.

:jump:

Listening to the completed amplifier now, the clarity is really exceptional, bass response is 'wow', it's all there.

After I refitted the OP transistors I lost output from one channel, it really had me scratching my head, in the middle of it all my o'scope decided to throw a wobbly - becoming suddenly very picky about triggering - so I lost both traces :( - all ok now though. (I'll explain what lost me the channel in the follow up post as below).

I haven't tried all the inputs yet, I'll get around to that in the coming days, and I have a few more pictures to share with you. I'll also post some final notes on what has been for me, a really testing restore, (and it isn't totally finished yet), and some credits for the superb help I had along the way. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Testing the phono circuits is the acid test. If there is an undiscovered issue the phono circuit will show it right away.

So hook up a turntable and give the phono sections a spin!

There is one big danger doing this though...

it will sound too good and you will find it REALLY REALLY HARD to stop playing records.
:rockon:

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely :D it is so big and heavy that will need to totally re-organise my setup to get it close enough to the turntable to connect it up. I want to see how it settles down now, I'll be checking all the settings on a regular basis, as it goes through repeat 'power on' heating and cooling cycles. ;)

After removing the front panel for the first time, I found I had a problem with the tape copy switch. The knob was glued on and I used just a bit too much force to get it off - result - the tape copy 'Source' switch wouldn't 'lock in' anymore, although it would cancel either of the other 2 buttons like it should.

So I removed the upper board and spent around 20 minutes working out how the mechanism worked and what I needed to do to get it working properly. I eventually found that a bit of extra spring power to push the locking bar to the right (in the below picture) was needed - accomplished very nicely with a short length of (blue) neoprene sleeving - see below between the right hand pair of push-button switches.

IMG_2095.JPG

Here is a picture of a completed driver board (requested by AK member AUD101)
IMG_2096.JPG

And a picture of the sacrificial output transistors for one channel - looking a bit lonely :(
IMG_2097.JPG
When I remounted the original output transistors I treated them to a new set of stainless steel screws (I had to drill out 2 of the screws to get the precious original OP transistors out :( )

Here is a picture of the Flat Amp F-2819 board - with 2 (of 4) extra resistors, a electrolytic capacitor (1 of 2) and a 'Black Flag' (1 of 2) mounted on the print side. When I renewed the electrolytics I mounted them on the topside. I am guessing that the original components were so big they fouled on the 'sandwich mounted' Buffer Amp F-2774 board, hence the mounting on the print side of the Flat Amp.
IMG_2081.JPG

Loss of one channel after re-installation of output transistors.
I experienced what I felt was quite an unusual problem, right at the end after I had verified output from both channels. I refitted the original output transistors, this meant removing the driver modules yet again, and desoldering 3 connections at the top of each board and several underneath. So I get this done and refit the modules - no output from the left channel :( . While I was doing this I also took apart the tape copy switch - and I thought I must have disturbed something, so my initial searches were around the very complex input and tape switching. Then my oscilloscope threw that 'wobbly' so I was a bit in the dark. So, I thought about it for a day, and composed in my mind a 'run-book' of tests. And I found that the signal input post on the driver module was not making contact with the (tortured) track at it's base, having been de-soldered and re-soldered many times. The solder joint at the base of the input post was fine visually, and the track wasn't lifted, but something about it was preventing contact with the board. Of course hooking a scope probe to the input post indicated 'signal' :mad:. A quick fix for that and I had both channels again - phew!

A few observations or things to note.

The Driver Amp boards are a nightmare to repair if you get faults - because accessibility in running condition is so poor. Be prepared to get very good at removing the 2 modules (L&R), and testing components with your multimeter, on Ω range or using the Diode Test function. I found those nearly open 390Ω resistors - I don't think I was that lucky, or clever :) - I tested them because they looked like fuse resistors. ;)

When you have the front panel of a Sansui amplifier removed - often the power LED goes with it, get yourself a spare LED and plug it into the LED power indicator cable socket - very useful. ;)

Removal and replacement of all Black Flags is an absolute must, both 'Silver Mica' or 'Ceramic C0G/NP0' are valid choices for this. However I consider the ceramic option to be superior, not only for audio reasons, but also due to their very small size. By comparison the Black Flags are huge, and I can't help feeling that by their very size (behaving like an aerial), and lead length (inductance), they are partly contributing to any instability problems.

The small 'signal relays' are cited as being a problem, so far (famous last words :) ), I haven't found this to be the case. However Ron (Ronito6) has worked out a nearly 'drop in' solution with modern replacements and I may yet change all mine regardless. (I have the replacement relays ;) ).

Although my model was a very late production one, I did install the Martin Kuehne, anti-oscillation grounding modification to the Flat Amp. Easy to do and it couldn't hurt, so in it went.

I have received considerable help with this project, on-line and off-line from AK members Ronito6 and Harolda for which I am extremely grateful. If it had not been for the publication on AK of their ground breaking (for me), work on this model of amplifier I might have found it a lot more difficult than it was. - thanks Ron and Harold. :thumbsup:

I will be doing much listening and testing for the time being, with thinking about 'Phase 2' ('can' capacitor replacement), quite a long way in the future. :music:

That's all for now, thanks for the encouragement along the way and reading this. :)

Here it is...
IMG_2098.JPG

Last edited:
John thanks for posting the pix of a completed driver board - excellent restoration - :thumbsup:
Wow! - your AU-X1 looks superb - I bet it drives those Q Acoustics with ease - do let us know after everything's settled in etc

Great job John. Superb as AUD101 says. Thanks for the detailed posts , and for the whole history behind the channel loss. Enjoy your beautiful amp for the time being , and start thinking the big cans, since they do get involved in the signal too as they modulate the voltage. You will get some more clarity out of the big cans, specially with the nichicons. Enjoy.

Nice!

You mentioned in a previous post you added the Kuehne flat amp ground enhancement.
(Worth a re-mention I think.)

I suppose no news is good new one on that one?

Also, what music are you testing on it? What medium and means?

Last edited:
Nice!

You mentioned in a previous post you added the Kuehne flat amp ground enhancement.
(Worth a re-mention I think.)

I suppose no news is good new one on that one?

Done. :) - edited in to post #133

Also, what music are you testing on it? What medium and means?

CD player, and some 'test' music that I know very well, just listening for the finer nuances of how certain things sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom