Yamaha T-520 AM FM Tuner
$700 obo for all 3

Marantz SM-80 for $350

Pioneer SA-9100 silver face for $350

Hitachi HMA-8500 MK II power amplifier
Hitachi HCA-8500 MK II preamplifier
$800 obo for both

NAD 3045 Integrated Amp for $250
A-S501 for $260 is a good price...I really like mine but it doesn't have the power of the M-80

M-80 running an old set of bi-wired
KLH-Sixes today just for kicks.

Sounded great, what an amp it is!

I run different sets of lower power speaks with the M-80, just watch the volume!

8ECC3391-035D-44A4-8F0B-BC1EE662C1EF.jpeg

Recent Activities:

It's been a waiting game. I picked up about 100 records and 50 CDs over the past week and went through numerous Goodwill and estate sales around the city. Sadly I did not came across any grail, but it certainly is interesting since I've never been an estate sale before.

1. One bad mid range - Replacement should be coming in today.
2. Both woofers are frozen - I got in touch with someone local that offered a pair of JA-3060 (from the 2nd gen NS-690) for $175, I've also gotten reasonable quotes for fixing the JA-3056s, but it requires shipping the speakers.
3. Missing Grills - No lucky yet.
4. New Capacitors - A fellow forum member had told me to "replace with same value of a high quality poly film cap, like Audyn or Solen." When I look into the categories on parts express, I only see the following: "Film and Foil Crossover Capacitors, Metalized Polypropylene Crossover Capacitors, Non-Polarized Electrolytic Capcitors", I'm guessing I should be looking into the "Film and Foil Crossover Caps" Is that correct?
5. Getting a better amp - I've just missed a bid on a M-80 this morning, it was sold for $485 (shipping included). I have also came across a set of yamaha mx-1000, cx-1000, and a CD5050, the price tag is $1995 for the pair (CD is free since the audio only comes out from Digital, analog does not work)..wonder if they are worth it.
6. Getting a DAC - I'm looking at a Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus and a matching blue tooth module for about $450ish on Amazon..have not had any experience but it seems to be pretty solid.

To be continued..

Last edited:
IMG_8634.jpg
1. One bad mid range - Got the replacement, however, the grill was pushed in during shipping, I went ahead and pulled it out, de-soldered the wires, re-soldered and installed it onto the speaker, tested and it sound fine. Not sure if I am going to try the vacuum trick, don't think it'll work with the grill here.
2. Both woofers are frozen - One more week before the seller of the JA-3060 comes back into town from his vacation. Can't wait.
3. Missing Grills - No luck, at this point I'm thinking of making one on my own, but it's not a priority.
4. New Capacitors - Maybe I'll wait on this one too..need to research more.
5. Getting a better amp - Researching..there seems to be some great stuff going around all the time, will take my time and research more as I go. Some of the older gears are wicked looking but they all seem to provide less than 100W per channel..not sure if it would be a good choice for me.
6. Getting a DAC - I am now a firm believer. I did not get Cambridge since I found out it came out a while back, and I ended up getting a Modi 3, the sound came out to be much better than my Bluetooth connection.

1. One bad mid range - Replaced.
2. Both woofers are frozen - Replaced with 2 JA-3060 from the N-690 II
3. Missing Grills - No luck
4. New Capacitors - On hold for now
5. Getting a better amp - I scored a mint NAD 7600 for $150 at a local Goodwill yesterday.
6. Getting a DAC - Purchased a Modi 3

Other thoughts: I am glad that I didn't listen to people who stated the NS-690s lack bass. To me, they sound perfectly fine and the bass was noticeable. I really love them and I think I am going to keep them for myself.

IMG_8667.jpg

Other thoughts: I am glad that I didn't listen to people who stated the NS-690s lack bass. To me, they sound perfectly fine and the bass was noticeable.
View attachment 1471935

To me they are very well balanced; I've heard speakers that were overly heavy and a bit muddy regarding bass. To some who prefer that sound the Yamaha's lack bass. I personally don't think they lack bass either...

Nice balance. No bass problem with that 12 inch woofer for me. Get them onto nice stands and vary position relative to back wall to get a good location. Then enjoy

Nice balance. No bass problem with that 12 inch woofer for me. Get them onto nice stands and vary position relative to back wall to get a good location. Then enjoy

Ive been looking for stands lately havent seen any that I wanted just yet, the wood ones are real expensive, I think I will just make my own.

Back
Top Bottom