Restoring Pioneer Urushi finish?

jlindsey86

Is there a polish or any other product out there that will effectively remove light surface scratches from Pioneer's Elite Urushi faceplates? It always amazes me how I can find crap components in mint shape and all the high end stuff is beat and scratched up...

These are the types of scratches I would like to buff out, if possible.
xoQoKjR.jpg

gxyKruf.jpg

You might try Meguiar's PlastX - supposedly great for dustcover scratches, don't know how good for Urushi on plastic - try it on the bottom first if you go that route.

I did have some Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 on hand. This is an excellent polish but do not use it on Urushi finish. After a few rubs I noticed some black transferring to the cloth. I guess there isn't an effective method to remove scratches from Urushi.

Bear in mind, Pioneer's so-called Urushi finish isn't, really. It's just shiny black plastic. No lacquer.

I did have some Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 on hand. This is an excellent polish but do not use it on Urushi finish. After a few rubs I noticed some black transferring to the cloth. I guess there isn't an effective method to remove scratches from Urushi.
Like any polishing compound, it will act like micro sand paper....in effect it is a sanding medium in liquid suspension. Pledge is a polish...it will make things shine but not smooth out scratches nor fill them.
A few years back, when I built model semi trucks and custome cars....yes, I'm a big kid...I used either a 3 step polishing compound to buff the paint finish or went old school with 1500 down to 3000 grit sand paper. Wet sanding the paint and then a light polishing up yielded a nice shine.
To loose scratches you'll either have to sand them smooth or just try to ignore them.
I wish I had a better answer for you...

Look up Novus plastic polishing compound...there's a 3 stage kit available but you can also buy one particular type bottle if need be.
Another thing to look for is model car...don't laugh...sand paper....they go up to 16000 grit I believe.

Is there a polish or any other product out there that will effectively remove light surface scratches from Pioneer's Elite Urushi faceplates? It always amazes me how I can find crap components in mint shape and all the high end stuff is beat and scratched up...

I feel your pain and I sure do wish mine could be buffed out. I just got this M72 amp a couple days ago and while the unit itself is in great shape the side panels are not so much and I will have to make brand new ones. What a shame.

GT.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 15
That blows my mind too. Some really expensive stuff, just beat to hell.

I have always thought this too.
How many times I see high end expensive gear on ebay and when I float over the pics with the zoom to see all the carnage up close I roll my eyes and curse.
Some people are just animals.
If I buy something brand new, I can bet my life that it will remain NEW looking if it stays in possession. I'm fussy with my things.
Chipped corners, dented and scratched faceplates, corrosion etc Aarrrghh !!

That's why it's all now under the heading of "Consumer Electronics" it just gets consumed I guess. Sadly we live in a world of "use and abuse" and then just go out and buy whatever's new in fashion.

It's a real shame because like the old cliché...." they don't make them like this anymore!!!" The weight of that M72 and the craftsman ship of the internals just looks beautiful, and it saddens me to think that some folks have no appreciation for this stuff at all!!

Attachments

• IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG