Restoring Tangent RS-8's

Hello all, I have recently sent my Dalesford woofers to Vancouver Speaker Clinic to be repaired. I have spent the past two years trying to find some one to touch these woofers without putting a paper cone on them. Right now I've got my fingers crossed as one woofer needs a VC and the other has a cracked cone. Most likely I will be patient for the next few weeks until I hear some good news, and hopefully the repairs wont be too costly. In the mean time I'm going to put a little elbow grease into the cabs, and get them looking classy. I believe the mids and tweeters are good, so I don't plan on doing any work with them until I get the woofers back. Once I give the speakers a good few hours of listening I will decide if I want to re cap the crossovers, or put that off for a little while. I am very excited to get these singing again. I currently have a pair of B&W Dm 12's which are quite superb for their small size, I'm eager to do some A/B listening between the two. Forgot to take some pics of the broken woofers, Ill post some pics of the cabs and what I'm working with in the days to come. Have not come across many RS-8s on the internet or anywhere, anyone run them in their setups? Like them? Love them? Or hate them?

I sent a D100/200 to the U.K. to have the damaged cone replaced like new. I was told it would be reconed with a new Bextrene cone. It came back with a paper cone. The sound is not the same. I wish you better luck.

My biggest concern was receiving the woofer with a paper cone, the guys at the speaker clinic assured me that they would not do that. On their website they state that they specify in Tangent Acoustics. The cone was split, but there wasn't any missing material so I'm hoping they can mend it together. As far as repairing the voice coil, I am somewhat skeptical.

www.vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com

Did they get the job done?

Any updates on this, was it a quality job? Pic's

Really interested to see how these turn out as I have a lead on a pair and am curious if they could be restored?

On there way......

So I pulled the trigger and bought the RS8's, had my buddy grab them for me as they were out of town, should be here on Thursday and I am pumped.

Going to hook the up to vintage Bryston 3b, hopefully it will be a nice match.

I was able to hear from the guys at the speaker clinic. They said the speakers are a nightmare as the bextrene was cracked. They are currently searching their basement containing 40 years of speakers for a speaker cone kit. The alternative is to receive a patched cone that would not be so pleasing to the eye. I told them to take their time and they will let me know what happens. How is the condition of your RS8's? Post some pics when they arrive!

Tangent made some great speakers ... the top of the line model is probably really something. There were some RS6s for sale locally a bunch of years ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not getting them.

Hey funny you should ask! Yesterday I received a D100/250 in wonderful condition (with original box!). The vc is blown but the cone is immaculate. I am shipping this out to Vancouver today where my other drivers have been for quite some time now. They will recoil the two and then ill be making some music. Ill get a pic shortly

attached thumbnails

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 82
I now have a pair of fully restored Dalesford woofers! I have one of my Tangent RS-8's all hooked up and it sounds great. Unfortunately I managed to mess up one of my tweeter's terminals when soldering the leads together. I melted the terminal off the plastic diaphragm. The VC leads are very small and will be difficult to reattach the terminal to the plastic so I may wind up buying a pair from Falcon Acoustics..

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dr...w025a0-appc2-hd12x9d25-hd12x8d25-tweeter.html

and then there is one with ferro fluid, but I need the terminals at 3 and 9 o'clock

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dr...udax-tw025a1-hd12x9d25-hd12x8d25-tweeter.html

Has anyone had any experience with ordering drivers from Falcon Acoustics?

I never have but there are many forum members who are quite satisfied Falcon customers..

Jerry who has been heading up Falcon is an honest and quote knowledgeable businessman.

Glad to find out you got the drivers repaired. :thmbsp:

How do they sound?

To this day I am not quite sure how many different 10" versions were made by the Dalesford company.
The 10" versions I have were made in 1981 for the Fried model O subwoofers and have the cloth dust caps.

sm thanks for the response! I will be sure to look further into Falcon to replace my tweeters. I managed to pull a lead off a terminal when soldering them back together.

I have one RS-8 fully hooked up. Sounds great. There is a lot of separation between the bass and the highs. Midrange and high end is very detailed. There must be a reason the B110 was so widely used.

The Dalesford woofer frames were stamped march 77 and oct 79. The original dustcaps were cloth, but one looked like it had been doped over. Note that one of the woofers was original to the Tangents and the other came out of a fried Fried sub. Each speaker has received a new and correct voice coil and spider. The new dust caps are not original. When testing them on a work bench the output was very similar, but you really need to have the speakers in a box or baffle to know just how they sound.

Overall I am very please with the restoration Vancouver Speaker Clinic has done. They took their time to source correct and specific parts, and they delivered a quality product with a whole new life.

Long time no see, sold off some unused gear to fund the drivers that I needed. They will be on the way from the UK soon enough!

Tweeters and mid range. I know the b110's differ a bit but I haven't seen anything original come up for sale in the past 4 years haha.

Back
Top Bottom