Retipped Denon 305 and my DP-62L

Drugolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
When I scored my Denon DP-62L it had a Denon 305 cart on it. It only provided one channel of sound so I put it on the shelf for future consideration.
I recently shipped it off to get assessed and it came back with a new sapphire cantilever and linear contact diamond.
Now the question is what's the best configuration for this on the DP-62L.
I only have the medium mass s shaped arm and it has the PCL-4 headshell that currently sports a Denon 103 on it. The Arm has the Qdamping system that makes it more forgiving with different weights of arm/headshell/cartridge combinations I guess.
I am considering purchasing another headshell so I can swap between them (and others maybe) and was looking at the higher level magnessium versions of the PCL which are the PCL-5 thru 7 or similar. Each have a different weight to them and I think the higher the number the heavier the shell.
Andy Kim has suggested a force of 1.5 - 1.8 for it. The manual for the arm says combined weights ranging from 11 - 20g are recommended for the S shaped arm.

Am I on the right track here? Do I want more or less weight?

Hi Doug
If the Q damping S arm can deal with my DL103's low compliance it can surely deal with the DL 305's mid compliance. Even without the Q damping the DL62's S arm is a mid mass arm and the DL 305 is a mid compliance would be a match made in rock n roll heaven. If you really want to get deep in the weeds you can adjust the headshell weight. Lots of HiFi fun!

I talked to an audio geek once who swore the DL103 sounded better on the DP62L with the straight arm which made no sense at all. The straight arm is definitely low mass. My conclusion is either this guy was crazy or that the Q damping mechanism is that good that it really doesn't matter. The jury is still out on that one.

Michael

Thanks Michael.
I've put maybe 6 or 7 hours on the 103 so far and it's does sound very good already. Not sure if it will get better yet with more hours, but that won't be a bad thing.
Really looking forward to trying the 305.

I have a 305 headed my way along with a Denon AU 300LC SUT that I'm looking forward to setting up in my office system.

Last edited:
Some thing tells me the DL-103 wont get much play time once you get a headshell for the DL-305. As I remember the DL-305 was in the past Denons TOTL cartridge.

I'm always trying to get my hands on a DL 303 or DL103M because the price on a DL305 is usually astronomical. The DL103 is caviar for the masses. All I can say is wow!

I have a 305 headed my way along with a Denon AU 330LC SUT

Brent, I've never heard of an AU330, I'm assuming it a 1:10 SUT.

Back
Top Bottom