Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

This morning I hooked up my old APPJ ( sans preamp ) to a pair of bookshelf Fostex Tektons. Using a double output Integra CDP I'm feeding both the APPJ and a Yung SD300 plate amp powering a DIY Dayton 8" Reference sub. OMG I can't believe how sweet Norah Jones sounds. If you shell out the $99 when it's back on massdrop I predict you'll be back here telling me how great it sounds. But remember you must have efficient speakers and add better tubes. With the volume at 12:00 the APPJ driving 93 db Tektons in a medium sized room is literally bringing tears to my eyes as I write this.

P1010021.jpg

The Tekton bookshelf speakers in this picture are what I currently use with the APPJ and what a lovely combination.

Attachments

• PB220028.jpg
    PB220028.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 56
Not sure if my Aristocrats are revealing enough to take advantage of any tube rolling. I Installed a pair of JAN5654W's upon receiving the unit. They have about 200 hours on them from use in a LB P5 buffer. I'll keep my eye on Ebay for some 403B's at a decent price. At some point I may put in the originals just to see. When my order of 6P1P-EV's arrives I'll swap power tubes. Hard to believe it was only a Benjamin.

Mark

I don't know what the price of the new APPJ is, but if one is to spend more, it would be worth considering the Aiquin EL34 amp. 10W, single ended, point-to-point wiring, good sized transformers, looks nice (in silver or black). I have that and the TubeCube7 (which is essentially a miniwatt) and find the Aiquin much, much better. Fuller sound and gets much more of the bass, no competition IMHO.

I don't know what the price of the new APPJ is, but if one is to spend more, it would be worth considering the Aiquin EL34 amp. 10W, single ended, point-to-point wiring, good sized transformers, looks nice (in silver or black). I have that and the TubeCube7 (which is essentially a miniwatt) and find the Aiquin much, much better. Fuller sound and gets much more of the bass, no competition IMHO.

The 3 tube Tube Cube 7 although made by APPJ/MW is not the same as this 4 tube APPJ. I've spent time with the 3 tube EL84 and the 4 tube sounds better. The 4 tube is different in that it's a direct heated SET. I think the Aiquin should be a step up but I doubt you can buy one for $99 shipped.

Last edited:
When talking about spending more, I was talking about the new APPJ EL34 amp. I don't know how much that new version is going for.

Yes, for $99, the original is a good buy.

I'm back and forth with the APPJ/MW and a class d Volt+ in this system. Both are very nice and it's difficult to declare a winner. Without a tube preamp fronting the class d I prefer the warmer APPJ sound. The very quiet fan is run to cool the APPJ which is probably not necessary but it's heat sink is it's case so it can get warm. In winter I wouldn't use it.

P1010020.jpg

My order of 6P1P-EV's arrived on Friday for a few hours of comparison to the original 6P1 tubes. Put a few more hours on them last night while I reread and further digested the info in this thread. Glad I re-read this thread, as 1 of the reviews had described the change with the addition of a tube preamp.(#62) Thanks PG for that link. I haven't given my Little Bear P5-1 any use since I went back on day shift a year ago. That buffer did little in my ss tape loop to change the sound but it was great for fine tuning the volume with headphones.The volume knob detents on my ss receiver were too aggressive with cans.

Added a couple of new GE JAN5654W tubes to the LB, since I previously borrowed the "broken in" pair for my new MW. I picked up a 12V, 1A brick since I last used the LB. It does appear that the LB tubes seem brighter than I remember with the standard wall wart and are brighter than the same tubes in my MW. Should have replaced the original cord before. It does add some more mass to the sound compared to running alone with the EV Aristocrats. Not up to the fullness of my PP Fisher, but still a difference. I'll give it some more time and then remove it for more comparison. Currently running the buffer full and adjusting the volume with the MW.

Really enjoying this MW with the SP12B full range drivers in the EV's. I'll continue to mix and match volume levels on each unit for comparisons. I'll eventually try them on my Marantz 5G's and get more travel out of the volume control. Thanks Poultrygeist for starting this thread and to all those who have contributed to it. Pics of them in use though the flash makes it difficult to tell.

2018-07-22 006.jpg

Mark

Tonight I've been enjoying the MW/APPJ paired with this $35 Sain Smart preamp and Dianna Krall's voice on "California Dreamin" ( Wallflower ) is just jaw dropping. I placed the Fostex Tektons on stands in near field and they sound so much better than on the bookcase. I have Y cables off the Sain Smart and they feed the MW and a plate amp that drives two bucket subs. The MW sounds fuller and more expansive with the tube preamp.

P1160005.jpg

Saw this completed Sain Smart 6n3 in a case for $99 on Amazon. But there are many on eBay for under $40 but you have to provide a case and that's what I did. There are extensive threads on this cheapo preamp. Some on eBay come with a wall wart instead of a on board transformer but I don't know if they sound as nice. The increased gain is noticeable when paired with MW. I like the combo so much I won't be running the MW without the Sain Smart.

61pP16IvMUL._SX679_.jpg

I'm really enjoying the APPJ/MW in this slightly different set up. Here's the tiny amp on top of a Audio GD DAC fronted by the Sain Smart preamp. It's driving two Tekton full range single driver speakers and the Sain Smart also feeds a Yung plate amp powering two bucket subs. The DAC allows a coax connection to a Rotel CDP source plus an optical connection to a Chrome Cast Audio streamer. This is a really fun set up which didn't cost an arm and leg.

P1010002.jpg

Last edited:
These Tektons sound absolutely wonderful powered by the APPJ/MW. On stands and in near field they have never sounded better. Just a few feet from my ears they're like huge headphones but unlike headphones they sound real. No more bookcases for the Tektons which really dulled their sound. One of the bucket subs is barely visible in the corner of the picture.

If I had no other gear I could live out my days quite content with this system.

P1010006.jpg

How does this work? If I put my card info in there, will it charge my card right away or on Friday when the drop closes? I have never done this before.

Never mind, did some more research and answered my own questions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom