Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

thanks pg. Ill check again.

OK I got 2 of em and 2 of the 6P1PEV.
Dang this is fun>

Last edited:
I just discovered this version of the original Miniwatt S1 SET amp on Amazon.

This is a true SET using four tubes ( 6J1 and 6P1 ) which differs from the three tube single ended APPJ N3 ( EL84 and 12AX7 ).

I've spent time with the more expensive N3 and while it sounded very good I always thought the S1 was better. Could be due to the diode mod that was popular when the MW first hit the market or the upgraded 6p1-ev Russians and WE 403B's.

At $169 shipped this is one hell of an amp deal. I think it would go toe to toe with a number of thousand dollar SET amps.

81dqXdxAiEL._SY355_.jpg

Poultry, could you post a link to the pictured amp on Amazon? I couldn't find it. edit: found it!

I just paid 169 for one.from amazon. Man did I get ripped off.

I think I paid close to $250 shipped for the original S1 and that was 5 years ago.

One of the reviews mentions it doesn't play very loud well it's obvious why. The guy has low efficiency speakers.

Hum is mentioned in a couple of reviews but I've never noticed any with mine. Now if you place your ear a few inches from any tube powered HE speaker you'll likely hear some hum but that's normal.

Thanks for posting the link, I might have to pick one up. I could use one at home but I've also been considering an office system at work and this would be perfect.

I plan to get caintucks 15" jobs. Sounds like a good match for the MW.
thanks poultrygiest.
Altho I will run them on other amps to see how they do.

Ok, so I bought this amp ($136 Gemtune version) to try on my Fortes I's. Bedroom system, so volume doesn't need to get too loud. Bought the WE and Sovtek recommended tubes as well, so we'll see. Relatively cheap experiment.

A friend tried the 3 tube version on his Forte I's and said it didn't get loud enough - but he has a much bigger room and likes his music loud.

Ferninando, I'd like to hear how this amp does on your Tektons.

all I gotta do is load it with tubes and hook it up. when I get it done I'll let U know.
They are NOt by any means powerhouses tho. I think these are quoted at 3 watts pc.
But they should do quite well with 96db eff spkrs.

Poultrygeist - given the fact that one of these SET's and an Audiobah TPA-3116 are completely different animals, what do you perceive in the difference in SQ between the two, when running a set of Zu's or OB's?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom