Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

Yes, I think it would do fine. It did well for a room with my 93dB Infinity speakers, so ought to do fine in that situation. It is a great step into tube audio. Let us know what you find.

Thanks! What is gained from implementing this mod? Does the diode have to be soldered on? Does direction matter?

Poultrygeist (mentioned by )S1 version diode mod seems to be this, I don't know if new version is same(Massdrop $99 Poultrygeist AC), might be, $99 price is even more fun than $250 or $150 :)
post-2582-1385471252,2396.jpg

Long time ago but photo and mod is for a early version. Direction of diodes matters, that is why they are marked. DC voltages even in cute little tubeamps can be lethal, so take care when you have that older version, better not start when you have new version unless it is very clear what the circuitchange is and new version has same circuit as old version had.

Got mine, listening to it now. First experience with tubes.

I get the tube "holographic" thing now. It sounds pleasantly out-of-phase, if that makes sense, which gives a sense of space and depth. Very pleasant indeed.

However, at this moment, it is definitely a little too bright and bass-light compared to my standard amp with these speakers (SS Kenwood KR-4070). Needs more muscle. Hoping the bass improves with some tube break-in.

Found out about this amp on Facebook from my college roommate. I immediately joined Massdrop and ordered one at $89. Not clear on when it comes but can't wait!

Got mine, listening to it now. First experience with tubes.

I get the tube "holographic" thing now. It sounds pleasantly out-of-phase, if that makes sense, which gives a sense of space and depth. Very pleasant indeed.

However, at this moment, it is definitely a little too bright and bass-light compared to my standard amp with these speakers (SS Kenwood KR-4070). Needs more muscle. Hoping the bass improves with some tube break-in.

Do not pass judgement unless you've upgraded the stock ( inferior ) tubes.

Replace the two 6P1 with inexpensive eBay Russian 6P1P-EV ( shipping will take at least 45 days )

Replace the two 6J1 with WE 403B. If the WE 403B is too pricey look for vintage 5654, 6AK5 or EF95

I'm also tempted by the Massdrop offer.....could the power tubes be replaced with EL84?
I think i could get some nice Siemens NOS ones, or at least Ei.
Also, recently bought by single driver fullrange idea.

I went with the Tube Cube 7, which appears to be modeled after the second generation miniwatt and starts with fairly common el84 and 12ax7b tubes. It seems like there are good rolling options there.

The first miniwatt had 4 tubes the second had 3 and the new one has 2. I hear the newest one does not have many tube rolling options, due to the tubes used. I don't know what tubes can be rolled into the original series, but PG and others here do.

I'm also tempted by the Massdrop offer.....could the power tubes be replaced with EL84?
I think i could get some nice Siemens NOS ones, or at least Ei.
Also, recently bought by single driver fullrange idea.

No the four tube version won't take the EL84. As I recall the N3 or second generation takes two EL84 tubes and one 12AX7.

Replace the two 6P1 with inexpensive eBay Russian 6P1P-EV ( shipping will take at least 45 days )

Replace the two 6J1 with WE 403B. If the WE 403B is too pricey look for vintage 5654, 6AK5 or EF95

To be clear, this advice applies to the four-tube version, correct? The one with the Bugle Boy, currently on Massdrop?

So is there a recommended model of bookshelf speakers to pair with ultra-low-powered amps like the miniwatt? I see a lot of recommendations for larger speakers (typically Klipsch) but rarely recommendations for bookshelves...

You need efficient speakers, which are not that easy to find. If you are doing nearfield/desktop, you can use many more, but not if you want to fill a room.

One option to consider are the Klipsch bookshelves, especially the ones with the 6.5" woofer have very high efficiency. Plus the brightness of the speaker is offset by the warmness of the amp.

Back
Top Bottom