Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

I'm a happy APPJ owner for 6 months now. I suggest getting a 6P1->6AQ5 socket adapter which will greatly widen your output tube rolling options. Russian 6P1P-EVs aren't bad but I'm getting better results with 6005 Sylvanias, another benefit the amp runs much cooler with them due to the 6005/6AQ5's lower heater current and extra space between the tube and the enclosure due to the adapter. Had RCA 6AQ5s as well, they were nice but somehow became bright with use and slightly microphonic. There is a multitude of options for the driver tubes, I'm running GE 5654W now, but have some 1950s Philips 5654s on order, came across some reports on head-fi Mullard/Philips providing richer low-end. The amp gets plenty loud with my Klipsh RB-15 bookshelfs. I have an itch to try one of those Fostex kits from madisound for near-field, but low-end will probably suffer as compared to the Klipsches. Now, if I could also get rid of the hum...

Replace the two 6P1 with inexpensive eBay Russian 6P1P-EV ( shipping will take at least 45 days )

Replace the two 6J1 with WE 403B. If the WE 403B is too pricey look for vintage 5654, 6AK5 or EF95

WE 403Bs didn't get a very high score on head-fi in the Little Dot tube rulling thread, fwiw anyway.

WE 403Bs didn't get a very high score on head-fi in the Little Dot tube rulling thread, fwiw anyway.

The factory upgrade package when the MW APPJ was first introduced included the WE 403B. Most Western Electric preamp tubes are highly sought after and command a high price for a reason.

I'm a happy APPJ owner for 6 months now. I suggest getting a 6P1->6AQ5 socket adapter which will greatly widen your output tube rolling options. Russian 6P1P-EVs aren't bad but I'm getting better results with 6005 Sylvanias, another benefit the amp runs much cooler with them due to the 6005/6AQ5's lower heater current and extra space between the tube and the enclosure due to the adapter. Had RCA 6AQ5s as well, they were nice but somehow became bright with use and slightly microphonic. There is a multitude of options for the driver tubes, I'm running GE 5654W now, but have some 1950s Philips 5654s on order, came across some reports on head-fi Mullard/Philips providing richer low-end. The amp gets plenty loud with my Klipsh RB-15 bookshelfs. I have an itch to try one of those Fostex kits from madisound for near-field, but low-end will probably suffer as compared to the Klipsches. Now, if I could also get rid of the hum...

Was the hum present with the stock Chinese tubes? My four tube S1 is as quiet as a church mouse with 98 db speakers.

The factory upgrade package when the MW APPJ was first introduced included the WE 403B. Most Western Electric preamp tubes are highly sought after and command a high price for a reason.

Factory upgrade is a weak argument as any tube you could slap on this amp would be an upgrade over the 6J1s. A quick eBay search finds several offers about $10/tube, which is the ballpark price for other tubes as well. However I haven't tried them so can't comment from own experience.

Was the hum present with the stock Chinese tubes? My four tube S1 is as quiet as a church mouse with 98 db speakers.

My recollection it was not but need to revisit as I swapped them out rather quickly.

Not a bookshelf speaker but the petite Frugal Horn MkIII with the Fostex FE126En is a good match for any of the MW's. The cutaway shows it's not a difficult build compared to most back loaded horns.
One could take the free plans to a cabinet shop and have them cut flat packs ready for glue up. The Frugal Horn build thread at diyaudio has been going strong since 2010.

The Fostex drivers cost about $50 each so this would be a relative inexpensive build.

P2130008.jpg

Last edited:
Received my Philips 5654 today, initial impressions very nice, this is the fullest sound I've heard from this amp. The hum is still there, bummer.

Here's my original S1 from 2009 and you can see the relocation of the PSU from the top to the bottom. I remember at AC the big rush and waiting list to buy them after loaners were sent out for review. The seller ( we all knew his name back then ) was active on the forums and that's where feedback from reviewers resulted in offering the tube upgrades i.e. NOS WE 403B for the 6J1 and Russian 6P1-EV for the Chinese 6P1 .

The S1 like the one above uses a 6P1 which is a direct heated triode like the 2a3 and 300B.

APPJ/MW use SMPS which are very quiet compared to big trannies as found in most single ended amps. So if you're getting a hum then yours may be defective. After 8 years there's no hum from my MW even with my ear close to my 98 db Lowthers.

PB220025.jpg

Last edited:
Just switched to a pair of Paradigm Atom v5's and playing Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat".
Pretty awesome sound especially when you consider it is only 3 watts!

I believe there was a lot of controversy over who owned the APPJ/MW rights, design and name so moving the PSU ( which changed the design ) may have been an effort to skirt the controversy and avoid legal entanglements.

The MW logo covered the APPJ logo on mine until I pulled it off.

Last edited:
You can barely see the little silver S1 in this picture. For fun I used a Niles amp switcher to switch between the MW powering the front Frugal Horns in stereo and a AVR powering the 5.1 surround speakers in this very crowded system.

P3240011_1.jpg

I was fortunate to get mine for a slightly less Drop Price but I wouldn't hesitate to get it again at this price. Great little amp if you have been thinking about dipping your toes into the world of tubes.

I bought an orange one from the last drop, also $99. In a desktop application, between a turntable, phono pre and Klipsch R-15Ms, this is a wonderful, tiny little dandy of a unit, especially for $99 shipped. I don't like it as much as my Gemtune X-1 EL34 unit at 8WPC, as the Gemtune has a rounder, fuller sound with better bass at $269.

However, that doesn't mean I don't love the APPJ for desktop use. I'll likely use it in my office at work, powering some small desktop speakers. I still cannot believe such a nice unit is available for $99 shipped to my door!

yea, does anyone have experience with the EL34 model? I wonder how it compares to the gemtune x-1 ?

Back
Top Bottom