Revamped a small closet for vinyl storage.

Ken Boyd

Subscriber
A while back I took a small closet and made some shelves to hold some vinyl records. Well it wasn't long and the wood shelves started to sag with the weight and I always needed to use a flash light to find anything specific.

Well the other day I took everything out and added a center support to help overcome the sagging shelves. Their is still some evidence from the past but for the most part now that the center support goes all the way to the floor I think I have enough support.

To address the lighting issue I used a number of recessed LED light pucks and put them in the wall around the door to focus the light towards the shelves. It makes all the difference now as all the shelves are lit and I can see every LP from the upper shelves all the way to the ones just above the floor. This picture doesn't include all the shelves as they run from just a few inches off the floor to all the way to the ceiling.

WIN_20180107_20_01_17_Pro.jpg

A while back I took a small closet and made some shelves to hold some vinyl records. Well it wasn't long and the wood shelves started to sag with the weight and I always needed to use a flash light to find anything specific.

Well the other day I took everything out and added a center support to help overcome the sagging shelves. Their is still some evidence from the past but for the most part now that the center support goes all the way to the floor I think I have enough support.

To address the lighting issue I used a number of recessed LED light pucks and put them in the wall around the door to focus the light towards the shelves. It makes all the difference now as all the shelves are lit and I can see every LP from the upper shelves all the way to the ones just above the floor. This picture doesn't include all the shelves as they run from just a few inches off the floor to all the way to the ceiling.

View attachment 1084480

Very cool. Ikea shelving?

I am thinking of changing out that door to a solid door, and putting rows of shelves on the door to hold CD's. Their is enough space when the door closes for the CD's, but the current door is hollow and I don't think it would have any meat to hold the screw for anchoring the shelves.
s

No just shelving material from Home Depot. I built them to fit the interior of the closet.

Each cubical will hold about 150 records for a total of 300 per shelve. 6 shelves for a total of about 1800 records. But some are box sets, and the very bottom two cubes are all box sets.

The other day I took random groups of ten records in their jackets and weighed them. It averaged out to about 6.5 pounds per group. At that rate your shelves are holding approximately 195 pounds. No wonder the boards were sagging.

Great idea, good use of space.

Each cubical will hold about 150 records for a total of 300 per shelve. 6 shelves for a total of about 1800 records. But some are box sets, and the very bottom two cubes are all box sets.

The other day I took random groups of ten records in their jackets and weighed them. It averaged out to about 6.5 pounds per group. At that rate your shelves are holding approximately 195 pounds. No wonder the boards were sagging.

Great idea, good use of space.

NICE setup, been toying w/ a similar idea. As I live in an older domicile I am planning on reinforcing the floor below my shelves, with you having ~ 1200 lbs in that small of a footprint that is something you may want to consider too. Just a thought. Good job and congrats on the new setup!

NICE setup, been toying w/ a similar idea. As I live in an older domicile I am planning on reinforcing the floor below my shelves, with you having ~ 1200 lbs in that small of a footprint that is something you may want to consider too. Just a thought. Good job and congrats on the new setup!

Thankfully my house here in Florida has a concrete slab, isn't going to budge.

As I live in an older domicile I am planning on reinforcing the floor below my shelves, with you having ~ 1200 lbs in that small of a footprint that is something you may want to consider too.
Broken floor joists are a "thing" apparently. My buddy in Chicago came home one day to find a gap of a couple of inches between the quarter-round molding and the floor, at the wall between the living room and the bedroom. On the other side of the wall, he had one of those 5x5 IKEA Expedit shelves filled with records. Each "cube" I found holds about 80-90 records. All that weight put a nice crack in the joist. He ended up moving the shelf to another bedroom, added a second one, and he and his brother reinforced the flooring beneath both of them.

Here's the culprit:

upload_2018-1-10_20-33-13.png

Broken floor joists are a "thing" apparently. My buddy in Chicago came home one day to find a gap of a couple of inches between the quarter-round molding and the floor, at the wall between the living room and the bedroom. On the other side of the wall, he had one of those 5x5 IKEA Expedit shelves filled with records. Each "cube" I found holds about 80-90 records. All that weight put a nice crack in the joist. He ended up moving the shelf to another bedroom, added a second one, and he and his brother reinforced the flooring beneath both of them.

Here's the culprit:

View attachment 1085975

Yikes

IMG_1248.JPG

Here's my shelving. About 1700 +/- albums.; Our house is a Sears Craftsman two story, 101 years old, my music room is on the second floor. The shelving was placed so it sat across several 10 x 2 joists. Weight and structural integrity were prime considerations in placement.

Attachments

• IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom