Review of Audiomods newest modded Rega tonearm (6moons)

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
It's a little long-winded in the beginning, so you might want to jump to the second page. This is a modded Rega RB300 tonearm.

Edward Barker does some nitpicking but seems impressed with it in the end. One thing that puzzles me is his suggestion that this thing could be improved with better wiring. It's already wired with silver Litz, which in theory should be pretty high-grade, so I don't really get why he thinks that could be one of the things holding back the performance of the tonearm.

Here's the review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiomods/1.html

Damn that's nice, love the (optional) on-the-fly VTA adjustment micrometer - a feature that has been SO nice to have when messing around with fine-tuning cartridges in my VPI arm.

Thanks for posting that. I'm thinking hard about one of those right now.

Sure thing - which turntable? I've lost track of what you have at the moment.

Damn that's nice, love the (optional) on-the-fly VTA adjustment micrometer - a feature that has been SO nice to have when messing around with fine-tuning cartridges in my VPI arm.

I can only imagine. My tt setup is way below that performance level, so it's the clumsy and blind VTA adjustment for me!

I wonder how one of these would work on a Thorens TD125 MKII... :scratch2:

I'm thinking about one of these as well for my Sony 2251. I like the SME-3009 on it but I'm wanting something even better.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Nice tonearm, nice review. I think Ed Barker did a solid job and lots of gorgeous pic's. I just love to see a product like the RB stand the test of time (since 1983?) and remain relevant and worthy of all the great mods over the years from the likes of Moth, Origin Live, and Audiomods. Ed also employed one of my all time favorite Lps Yusef Lateef's -Eastern Sounds on Prestige. ...Anyway, a real smart and beautiful arm and a not too shabby price point either!

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
I just saw this and read it. I have one of Jeff Spall's version IV arms set up on a Technics 1210, and it's a great arm, one of the real bargains in quality audio playback. I run a couple of Zu Denon cartridges (103 and 103R) and a Denon 103D, which has been retipped by Soundsmith.

Back
Top Bottom