50 watt

1 high frequency conventional paper cone driver
1 mid/low paper cone driver 10"

Covered in wood-grained vinyl

Standard "push to connect" jacks in back

Label says "Pioneer USA"

Date of introduction 1991

Has removable grill with Pioneer logo.

Background: I got these for free. I need some 'utility' speakers for my darkroom. This would be an upgrade from the CD/Boombox I currently use.

I intend to drive them with a Pioneer SA-800 that I recently overhauled. I wanted to use my SA-6700, but I am now kicking myself for the green filters I put on the meter lights. I had some red 'safelight' grade filter stock to use, but I grabbed the green as that was what was originally on the bulbs. The SA-800 has no meters and the power light is 'safelight-orange.'

Listening test performed with Yamaha A-1000, 125WPC integrated amp. Sources were CD/LP and tape.

With the tone controls of the A-1000 bypassed, the bass was a little distorted and muddy. With the tone controls engaged, I had a case where actually turning the bass down, improved the bass response. It became less distorted, less muddy and more defined. Eventually I tweaked the treble and bass controls and got a reasonable sound.

My impression was these speakers were designed to run with a cheap low power 'all-in-one' type system that lacked bass response.

Hooking these speakers up to a reasonable set of components did NOT make it sound like a cheap system.

Conclusion:
These are like the bottom of the line Pioneer speakers. They do sound way better than detachable plastic boom-box speakers and the usual plastic junk speakers.
I would estimate the value to be about $12 and at that price they are worth it for perhaps a location where you don't want to risk expensive speakers, like a garage or workshop.

(Note: These pictures are from the internet, but my speakers are essentially identical)

Attachments

• CS-G103-13.jpg
    CS-G103-13.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 119
Vintage Pioneer Stereo Speakers 2-Way Large Bookshelf or Floor Standing CS-G103
These are unlike many on the market ever. These wonderful speakers made by Pioneer circa 1991 I presume are perfect examples of what Pioneer does so well. Yes, They were one of the lowest models of that year... Yes, They are constructed in a frugal fashion... Yes, they cannot handle more than a clean 50W... Yes, They are only a 2-Way speaker system...
Well, These are Pioneers last Hoo Rah as far as I know into the large box format we all loved so much. Thumping Bass, Highly projecting mids and crystal clear tweeters, This is what Pioneer did... Fantastic construction, very little power needed to achieve Audiophile or at least high enthusiast standards and did it with a fraction of the cost of almost everyone else... Perfect for a TUBE AMPLIFIER...
The CS-G103 sport a 10" woofer with excellent cloth surrounds, that most likely will outlive us unlike foam surrounds. A 2" paper tweeter and yes, by the factory there was only 2 mounting screws out of 4 to cut costs I imagine. In next to Factory condition, these would be a great addition to any Audiophiles collection...

• Excellent pair of speakers with a real nice tone... Perfect for tube monitors...
  • Very efficient and need very little power... Hence the tube amplifier suggestions, lol...

Back
Top Bottom