Reviews on the JBL L100?

Night Wolf

White Woofer Night Wolf
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any reviews for the L100. Not the reviews from AR, but fron a Magizine, or a web site that does any reviews.

Thanks

BTW who here has L100's?

YEAH!!!!!!!!! I am now a "Senoir Member"

and to think I am the Administrator at my site...

Wolf,

Of course, I've got a pair. The L100 is a classic in the history of sound reproduction for a reason. Read the Stereo Review review -- I have attached a rather poor, but barely readable copy. Note the repeated mention of the accuracy of the speaker. Note the parts about the lack of distortion, and the ability to reproduce the tone burst waves on an oscilloscope screen. Note how the review ends with a mention that "the JBL L100 ranks with the most accurate speakers we have tested -- certainly no other has been better."

Gosh knows, these aren't "perfect" speakers. I would maintain that "there ain't such a thing," as speakers are usually some conbination of compromises, and then we go and ruin whatever sound they've got designed into them, by putting them into our particular listening rooms.

However, I'll say that, on a number of occasions, I have heard sound from a pair of L100's that sounded "more like a real, live person was right in the room with me making the music" than any other speaker I have ever heard.

Anyway, for whatever that may be worth. Now, of course, some pictures!

l100_05.jpg

l100_09.jpg

l100_02.jpg

whitewoofers.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool!

thoots,
Is that the L200 or 300 in the middle? I owned the L100s for about 17 years. There were the best rock speakers I ever had; they had great bass. I still have the original Pioneer SA-9500 amp that went with it.

yeah, I think you posted those pics before, you have a mint set of L100's. I need to get pictures, but my IBM Net camera has a max resolution of 320x 280, when I get a real digital camera, which is 3.2 MP (this christmas) i will be able to get much better pictures. BTW 5 coats of Minwax super-high gloss really makes them shine :) (just one of the many things I did durring the restore)

anyone know where I can get new foam rings for the tweeters? Obi-Wan, your foam looks pretty new, where di you get it? Thanks

Love them JBL's....

I have yet to own a pair of L-100's but I have a friend with a pair and they sound great. For now I'll stick with the 4333AWX's and keep the tunes cranked.

grill_off.jpg

Re: Very cool!

Originally posted by sasaki kojiro
thoots

Is that the L200 or 300 in the middle? I owned the L100s for about 17 years. There were the best rock speakers I ever had; they had great bass. I still have the original Pioneer SA-9500 amp that went with it. [/B]

The biggest speakers in Thoots pictures are L150's from the late 70's early 80's. They are very nice. The L200 and L300 date from the mid 70's and are the home version of JBL's main studio monitors. The original L200 was the home equivalent of the 4325 monitor. It was one of the worst speakers JBL made. The replacement L200B was the equivalent of the 4331 monitor and is quite decent. The L300 was the home version of the 4333 monitor is my favorite of the bunch. There is magic in JBL's 15" driver speakers like the L300 that can't be replicated by the smaller driver versions. You can find detailed specs on all of these speakers on our site. For now, I've attached photos of the original L200 (top) and L300 (bottom).

There you go, I knew I was wrong as soon as I posted. You can't forget the L200 and 300s distinctive squat shape for long.

sasaki,

Yes, Don is correct (of course!) -- those are L150's, "L150A's" to be specific, in the middle of my picture. They have 12-inch woofers with 12-inch passive radiators.

Wolf,

I got my L100's from "Redondotom," a prolific JBL seller on eBay, and he very most likely put the new foam rings in place. Orange County Speaker Repair sells them, from what I understand:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Though, I have heard other folks talk about just getting them from local "authorized JBL" repair shops, for much less than the twelve bucks apiece it seems I've heard that Orange County sells them for.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom