revive an NAD 7020?

RGilpin

I have this old NAD 7020 up in the attic. Before I toss it, I want to ask if I could repair it myself. The problem is that it has nearly no sound output at all. I have to turn up the volume way up high, and then I hear only a distant-sounding signal through the speakers. It sounds like line-level output to me. My first thought was that the amplifier had worn out after many, many years of faithful service, but my reading online leads me to wonder if other, less expensive items have failed. I have read that capacitors have a tendency to quit after a few decades. I am not much of an electrician, but I think that I could replace a capacitor (if I knew which one!) With a unit this old, I am not sure that I want to spend the money to get a competent technician on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the amplifier back on? TIA

do you have the jumpers installed between pre and main?
if you dont have them use rca cables

I have this old NAD 7020 up in the attic. Before I toss it.....

It could be any number of things beyond tired caps. While handing it over to a tech may not be worth it, tossing it would be a sin. If you get to the point where it's not worth your time/effort, I'd happily take it off your hands. A good number of years ago I sold mine off and it wasn't too long after that I regretted that decision.

Just to move you along, if it ain't the jumpers, try cleaning the pots with Deoxit. That'll set you back about $12 to $15 bucks. It's a good thing to do even if your issue is not dirty control related.

Good luck!

When the 7020 stopped working, I had a surround-sound unit plugged into the line-level outputs. I have mislaid one jumper, but the other is now in.

I am not familiar with Deoxit, but I have a spray can of compressed air. I got it at Radio Shack. It's supposed to clean electrical components. Is Deoxit similar?

Back
Top Bottom