Revolver AVIS TT

Ol' Ken

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Has anyone heard of Revolver AVIS table. There is one for sale up here for C$170.00 and it needs a new belt. No further info on it so far, although it looks in good shape.

Thanks

Revolver is a brit t/t manufacturer i believe ( SEE corporation ) and their decks have had good reviews in the english press..on par with rega planar 3's etc...i think the plinth is a sandwich type..ie two levels..and the platter is glass with a felt mat ?..not sure of the "avis" model but its a simple design from what i remember and should sound good... :thmbsp:
unless your referring to a LINN AXIS ? :scratch2:

meloelo
Thanks for the info. I was going to check with the TT guy at the store where it is for sale but he is either busy or not there whenever I get a chance to drop in. I haven't been able to contact him on the phone - too crazy at work. The only thing I have been able to find out is that the belts sell for about $30-35 each in US funds or a zillion Canadian. I'll do more digging on it. I have not dealt with this store before so I'm not sure on how forthcoming they would be with the straight poop.

I once heard a revolver turntable when they first came out and it sounded very good indeed..i think it had a linn arm as standard and would have sold for around the £ 200 + mark back in the late 80's early 90's.
It would have been launched in direct *sonic* competition/co-existence with the likes of the thorens td 318, rotel rp 850, ariston rd 40, rega planar 3, qed r232, acoustic research eb101 etc... a crop of decent sounding *budget* (£200+ circa 1987) audiophile decks for those making their first upgrade from the first entry level step of the audiophile turntable laddar such as dual 505's, nad 5120's etc..

Thanks again - I'll check it out further it seems to have quality parts. There was a small sign on the TT that stated it was Revolver AVIS. It wasn't/isn't a brand that I was familar with. Time to Google and Ask Jeeves etc in depth.

In the US and Canada Revolver was distributed by Roy Hall of Music Hall fame. I believe there was a fair bit of marketing re-badging going on, but I can't say for certain. I've had 3 go through my hands--2 "Rebels" and one "Super". I've never heard of Avis--it might be a name marketed in Canada. Pretty decent tt's overall--very much like a Rega p2 but without the RB 200 or 250. The "Rebel" was the bottom of the line.The 2nd Rebel I had came with what looked to be a standard Linn arm. I suspect there was variation there, too, much like the Music Hall 2 in its first incarnation. I'd probably consider about $125 US for a Revolver in good condition. Hope this helps.

CortR
Thanks for the info. I did a search and the only info I could find on it was that the motor was low torque in comparison to a direct drive TT and there was a site selling belts for the AVIS but I can't see me paying C$60.00 per belt for a $170 TT unless the table is really worth it. I haven't ask Music Hall about the table yet, I am going to try to get to the store selling the table to ask more questions and take a close look at it. I don't have alot of knowledge about this stuff and if I am not comfortable with the deal I'll walk.
I could buy a new TT if needed but if I had my druthers..........

Back
Top Bottom