Revox B225 player find and HELP!!

Ramseybella

AK Member
My luck was good last week with the RS7 Infinities and now the Goodwill $14.00 find the other day.
Picked this up i played a CD on it with no amp or headphones at the store, Tray was smooth with no noise or hang ups looked like it tracked perfectly.
I got it home and found a huge problem, it plays and in stereo no skipping no funny tracking even tapping on the chassis it kept in time.
What is going on once you hit play it has this mind numbing nasty hum and the sound of the music is distorted.
You can hear the music playing behind all this noise and from what little i can hear this is a nice deck as i have read.
I opened it up and was surprised how clean it was as like the outside no bulging, leaky or burnt caps no signs of any burnt components at all.
One thing i did notice that when i power it up and use the headphone jack, the volume seems to be cranked all the way. I have to hit the decrease button quickly to bring it down.
I turn the deck off and back on again it's all the way up.
I am asking for suggestions on if i should keep it and have it repaired or sell it to someone that can fix it?
I have to much going on and my Rotel 990 needs fixing as well...
I'm no electrical wizard i can solder like the mad hatter but it comes to tracking down the Gremlins?
In short I suck..:boring:
R1.jpg
R4.jpg
View attachment 1261213
RE2.jpg
View attachment 1261216
RE4.jpg
R5.jpg
R6.jpg
R7.jpg
R8.jpg
R9.jpg
R10.jpg

Last edited:
Under the hood, usually on the board nearest the transformer. Two larger and a host of smaller ones.

That’s a very good deck, but the Rotel 990 is even better. What’s wrong with that? If it’s the drawer not working it’s likely the drawer gear - those are notorious for falling apart in Philips CDM-9 transports. Replacements are easy to find on the auction site,

Not the drawer gear or belt, thats strong as an OX including the motor.
It just opens and stays open you have to turn the power off to push it back in, if you even try to push it in while it's powered the drawer motor kicks in pushing it back out.
You turn the power on and it opens then reads no disc and error.
It sucks it's my #1 deck.

It is normal for the headphone volume to go to maximum on mains removal. The B225 is supposed to have AC at all times.

Frako brand capacitors are ALWAYS a problem, no matter what else may be wrong. Their going short circuit can cause all manner of odd behaviour.

In regard to the noise if it remains after capacitor rreplacement, also check the DAC and data processing ICs are well pushed into their sockets - the pins may corrode, so it's even better to remove the ICs and re-plug them in again.

This model was my first CD player. I loved the operating push buttons and all the options. I had the unit for quite a few years until more sophisticated units came along. It never gave me one minute of problems and though it sounded a little flat compared to more advanced units to come along I couldn't have been more happy with the unit at the time. I did use the cal. tone to preset levels when making cassettes dubs for playback in my cars.

Whoever bought it certainly made out good!
I'm sure they can fix it.. I made good money so it's a win, win.
Just don't have the time and resources to mess with it.
Every time i think i found the best thing another shows up at another unexpected time.
On to the Rotel deck, someone told me to check the power section on that as well.

Is that a sin? :dunno:
Yes i did, also just acquired a working Behemoth Sony X707ES that so far seems sound insanely fantastic.
Nothing wrong with the sound stage of the Rotell 990 you ever listen to one?
Damn near impossible to find due to the low numbers built, Philips ended production or the CDM9 Pro transport.
, Rotel made a little over 3000 of these and stopped production because of that.
Making it a bit rare.
Sure i would have loved to indulged myself with the Revox but finding someone to work on it and money is the issue.
I can't post sales on this forum or i would have given AK members a first shot.

Back
Top Bottom