REVOX B225

jim skatoff

Just bought a reconditioned B225. Some of my CDs just stop playing for no reason and the power
shuts off. Some will play most tracks. I have been listening to a new CD and it is playing fine.
My older CD's are the ones causing issues. I have always taken care of them so they are not beat
up or scratched. I bought a new B225 back in 85 and used it for 25 years before selling it. Never had
this issue. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Just bought a reconditioned B225. Some of my CDs just stop playing for no reason and the power
shuts off. Some will play most tracks. I have been listening to a new CD and it is playing fine.
My older CD's are the ones causing issues. I have always taken care of them so they are not beat
up or scratched. I bought a new B225 back in 85 and used it for 25 years before selling it. Never had
this issue. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

reconditioned? what was involved in this? i would say that the powersupply is bad, and need new capacitors, probably the whole unit needs that. depends on the history of the player.
if you dont know if its recaped or not post a detailed picture of the boards and PSU, i be happy to help out, LOVE these players!

and congratulations to a good choice of CDP. these are some of the best stuff ever made! had a Studer A727 this was the best player i have ever come in contact with! interiors look like its build for NASA use.

Last edited:
i would say that the powersupply is bad, and need new capacitors, probably the whole unit needs that. depends on the history of the player.

Very likely explanation / solution.
There are also some electrolytic capacitors on the disc drive mechanism itself, that when they fail (as they always do at this age) make the laser output weak and eratic, giving the appearance of an aging laser diode, i.e., poor disc reading. The Philips lasers in these B225 and B226 machines just do not fail, unless a fool damages them by incorrect adjustment procedures.

Very likely explanation / solution.
There are also some electrolytic capacitors on the disc drive mechanism itself, that when they fail (as they always do at this age) make the laser output weak and eratic, giving the appearance of an aging laser diode, i.e., poor disc reading. The Philips lasers in these B225 and B226 machines just do not fail, unless a fool damages them by incorrect adjustment procedures.

yes you are right..could be that to, but i dont think that would shut down the player. and yes! these philips cdm´s were made to last!

Last edited:
yes you are right..could be that to, but i dont think that would shut down the player. and yes! these philips cdm´s were made to last!

Bad capacitors on the disc transport board will cause the player to be fussy about certain discs. Another well known issue here is the plastic set-screw in the middle of the spindle motor that wears flat, and results in the disc sitting too low in the player for focussing. That makes some discs unplayable, others work OK.

Bad capacitors in the power supply can make the player go into standby, randomly.

ALSO: the IR remote sensor on the B225 and B226 does NOT like CFL lightbulbs. Using such a lamp in the room will make the player do random things, like switch on and off for no apparent reason.

plastic screw you mean underneath spindelaxle? i have gotten most cdm1 to play again by cleaning and lubing the screw then "adjusting" by ear that is.

plastic screw you mean underneath spindelaxle? i have gotten most cdm1 to play again by cleaning and lubing the screw then "adjusting" by ear that is.

Yes, that screw.
It is a plastic Torx screw, in the centre of the motor. It is the thrust bearing of the motor itself.

On early B225s, (CDM-0) with the sealed Philips motor, it is of a slightly different design and may be more difficult to work on.

Bad capacitors on the disc transport board will cause the player to be fussy about certain discs. Another well known issue here is the plastic set-screw in the middle of the spindle motor that wears flat, and results in the disc sitting too low in the player for focussing. That makes some discs unplayable, others work OK.

Bad capacitors in the power supply can make the player go into standby, randomly.

ALSO: the IR remote sensor on the B225 and B226 does NOT like CFL lightbulbs. Using such a lamp in the room will make the player do random things, like switch on and off for no apparent reason.

I just replaced all the electrolytics in my B225 and it sounds and works wonderfully. And that awesome sound of it’s disc drawer! What fun.

I did have a problem with the unit just shutting off by itself. It was discouraging, but never happened unless I was in the room, and usually moving around. It would play in my absence all day on LOOP.

Then I began reading again and found this 2016 message from steerpike2. Of course - CFLs! They didn’t exist during the first life of the B225. And I have a garage full (33) of flush mounts with CFLs. So I covered the IR sensor and it has not shut down since.

What a great post, steerpike2! I might never have connected the problem to the cause. When I am out of the room, of course the lights are off. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom