Revox B77 LS capstan motor stopped spinning

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Got a Revox B77. Had it running, playing & recording. Record lamps worked. Meter lamps were out, then one lamp flickered in and out. So I pulled the panel to get to the meters. Pulled the meters to get at the lamps. the one that flickered did light but would not stay lit. So I was going to order bulbs. Put it back together. Put a tape on to check functions while I had cover off. Will FF & RWD. But would not run in play. Then I noticed the capstan was not spinning. I spun the motor bay hand and it spun. Engaged play and it stopped. Spun it again with power on and kept spinning slow, seemed to be getting some voltage. Shut off power and it stopped. The record lamps won't come on now ether. What gives, Did I F*** something up messing with the meters?

Last edited:
Hi,

the bulbs for the VU meters are on the regulated 21V supply. This also feeds the Capstan Servo PCB. If you could get the machine to run at as well you would find the audio would be down as well.

The Logic is on a separate supply derived from the raw 24 Volts supply for the solenoids, so functionally the machine will run.

If you have been near to the VU meter lamps and still have problems there then re visit them. Also do not leave the machine powered for long periods with this fault still present. The 21V series regulator is current limiting and you may fraz it if you leave the machine powered for a long period of time.

For my money the problem is still at the VU meter Lamps.

GPS16

Put the bulbs back in and buttoned it up. Looked around and noticed the T800mA fuse a little frayed but not broke. Replaced it and now runs fine.

Back
Top Bottom