Revox B795

J Phil

Hi,

I've been given an old Revox B795 turntable. It has a Shure V15/IV - MR cartridge on it that needs a new stylus. Also with it is a new Ortofon VMS20EO MkII cartridge. I will be using the turntable to digitize LP's & 45's. Should I replace the Shure stylus or will the Ortofon cartridge match the Shure cartridge in performance?

Thanks,

Jim Phillips

That's a tough one. Shure says that the correct stylus is no longer available, but that the VN35mr stylus will fit if the stylus guard is left off. I'd suggest to go ahead and get one of those while you can, since they are listed as discontinued but still available for now. If you wait, you will probably have to pay a scalper's price for one later.
I have not heard the VMS2O, but the needle doctor has the stylus for $90. So it must be a pretty high end cart.

KAB doesn't list a stylus for the V15-IV but LPGear does have a house brand replacement listed. Ortofon did/does make some pretty decent cartridges and although I'm not familiar with the VMS20 I'd definitely give it a try before spending too much time or money trying to get a stylus for the Shure.

Back
Top Bottom